Discuss How to get upto speed with access control and cctv in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a route to gain knowledge about access control and cctv, we've always used a sub contractor to carry out our works, but eventually you have to think, why can't we do this? It's not something I'd be willing to just have a bash at. The standard of some of the installs are appalling, so if I can carry out the work and bring it upto the correct standard then it would be better all round, rather than just lashing cables in as the crow flies!!

have a look here.

HUGELY EXPANDED VUPOINT P2P VIDEO VERIFICATION RANGE FROM RISCO - WIFI AND POE

RISCO is proud to launch our significantly expanded range of VUpoint video verification cameras with an advanced feature set including WDR and Starlight on selected models.

In addition to our hugely popular P2P Wi-Fi range launched last year, we now offer a line of PoE cameras (including a varifocal) and a Pan/Tilt camera.

VUpoint seamlessly integrates cutting-edge cameras within all of its professional security systems and Smart Home, providing superior video verification and live streaming video on demand for residential / commercial users and ARCs – for unparalleled security and efficiency and on-the-go control.

600xunlimited___vupointpoeheader.png

600xunlimited___poecameras.png

Indoor Cube Camera
RVCM11P0900A
1.3MP
2-Way Audio
10m IR LED

Indoor/Outdoor Dome Camera
RVCM32P1000A
2.0MP (Full HD)
IP67
DWDR
30m IR LED

Indoor/Outdoor Eyeball Camera
RVCM72P1200A
2.0MP (Full HD)
IP67
WDR
Built-in Mic
SD Card Included
50m IR LED

Outdoor Bullet Camera
RVCM52P1100A
2.0MP (Full HD)
IP67
WDR
40m IR LED

600xunlimited___poevarifocal.png

600xunlimited___vupointtiltpan.png

600xunlimited___wifirange.png

A range of accessories including wall mounts, pole mounts, corner mounts and junction boxes are also available.

VUpoint Visual Verification. How Does It Work?
600xunlimited___vupointverification.png

ORDER YOURS TODAY!

Call RISCO on +44 (0)161 655 5500
or email [email protected]
to find out more

With CCTV its actually quite straightforward, it only gets technical when you start looking at remote access or large systems using network technologies. cameras that can pivot, tilt etc add another dimension. But truth be told the best way is buy yourself some kit and put it together. get a range of cameras, a DVR and some cables off ebay. they can be used and old, but hands on is the way to go.

Your local wholesaler might have a manufacturer they deal with. Get some brochures from them, get the reps contact details.
Follow the instructions, and you cant go far wrong

It’s pretty simple to do, I use HIKVISION as its pretty much foolproof and very easy to set up.

The ip cameras use cat5e/6 cables and rj45 connections so are easy to install.

The Hik-Connect app is easy to connect and set up for remote viewing as well.

Provided you have it connected to internet. If that’s all the customer wants then a 1Tb HDD will suffice, but if they want longer recording time & larger mp cameras you’ll need more storage.

After getting a recent quote for access control here (and nearly falling through the floor) it's something I want to learn about myself. Just no time to learn about it, work's manic, going back to college in September, it'll have to wait (unless someone has a decent online course/book)

After getting a recent quote for access control here (and nearly falling through the floor) it's something I want to learn about myself. Just no time to learn about it, work's manic, going back to college in September, it'll have to wait (unless someone has a decent online course/book)
For a home system or small office you don't need about as there is enough info on the web regarding which mega pixel and lens size cameras to use.

As Phil stated Hikvision stuff is good and easy to use and setup, just get a 8 0r 16 port POE NVR with a decent spec hard drive, run CAT 5/6 cables to cameras and away you go.

I have some at home that I have been playing with to learn myself, if you are self employed claim it off your tax bill.

For a home system or small office you don't need about as there is enough info on the web regarding which mega pixel and lens size cameras to use.

As Phil stated Hikvision stuff is good and easy to use and setup, just get a 8 0r 16 port POE NVR with a decent spec hard drive, run CAT 5/6 cables to cameras and away you go.

I have some at home that I have been playing with to learn myself, if you are self employed claim it off your tax bill.

That's cool, but I'm competent enough with CCTV. You'll see my post was about access control if you look closer ;)

I have only done a couple of access control systems this was back in 2009 so it might have changed a bit since.
It was a case of getting to grips with the software, the actual install was easy and just required running cables like with an alarm.
each lock/door sensor had an allocated address/number and you could set up user ids, the users were assigned to groups ie: security and directors full access, workers only where they need to go.
When allocating fobs, you scanned them then ticked the box for what zones or doors they could open.
It was very simple and much like setting up computer user accounts and deciding who gets what access. The software could show you logs of who went where or attempted to open doors etc..
it took a day of playing to get fully upto speed with it.
I expect the software has become even easier and more inuitive, especially with the wireless access control systems out there.

Reply to How to get upto speed with access control and cctv in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net