Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss How to test/certify a small 230V generator installation? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. a-z electrics

a-z electrics Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    A-Z Electrics
    Hi all,
    Got a client with a small barn workshop and caravan powered by a portable 230V 6kW petrol generator. (Loncin 8000D-A) . The original 32A commando lead had a domestic double skt on the end, and theres another lead with a commando socket for the caravan. Theres only one 230v o/p.

He asked me to fit 2 double skts and 2 lights so he can work in the barn, via a modern fusebox. There's also a water borehole pump.
    Its not a commercial venture but temporary whilst he wants to eventually build a permanent dwelling on the site, also powered by a larger generator. Give him credit, he wants it all done proper with test certificate..
    Wired that up for him with an rcd main switch db, 20A mcb for the 2 d/skts and a 6A for lights but then realised it doesnt use terra firma as an earth so cant do Zs and rcd tests, altho the rcd test button works.. Looked up the on site guide and realised it must be a floating earth type of jenny.
    All dead testing is ok ..
    So whats the situation with the live testing and certificate then for this temp set up?
    Thanks in advance..

2. bill01803

bill01803 Regular EF Member

You need to install an earth stake and at a point before the dis board you need to link n and e together and label it so. You also need to make sure the client knows this and that they must consult an electrician in the event of a change of generator.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. a-z electrics

Business Name:
    A-Z Electrics
    Oh ok, So make it into a TNS system then.. that should be no trouble but can I do the link in the DB? After all, thats the MET.
    Everything will be labelled.

4. a-z electrics

Business Name:
    A-Z Electrics
    The other thing I should mention is that there was no blue wire on the output lead, it had 2 browns. Is that ok? should i tag one Blue?

5. bill01803

Yes, the one connected to the neutral pin.
    You can link it in the dis board and label it, presumably you will have to install a socket for the caravan off your db.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DefyG

DefyG Regular EF Member

TNS - You sure?

7. Rob

Rob Control System Engineer Respected Member

How do you know it's a floating earth type of genny?

8. a-z electrics

Business Name:
    A-Z Electrics
    how do you know it isnt?

9. a-z electrics

Business Name:
    A-Z Electrics
    ok.. well I could but the caravan lead can be substituted for the DB lead when required.

10. a-z electrics

Business Name:
    A-Z Electrics
    O0ps should have said TNC I suppose?

11. Rob

Rob Control System Engineer Respected Member

Well I've not seen it, so I couldn't tell you if it is or isnt.

I can tell you you shouldn't be linking N and E together without knowing for sure.

12. bill01803

Caravan should not be used with floating earth generator, that is why you need to install a socket for it

13. a-z electrics

Business Name:
    A-Z Electrics
    i see.. well the potential between the earth pin and each of the two brown wires measured about 90V, but an earth stake was also connected to the earth met at the db.. has this complicated things?
    Whats the best test to make sure what type it is then? As you can see, I've not had any dealings with this type of scenario b4, hence my post. Thanks for yr help..

14. a-z electrics

Business Name:
    A-Z Electrics
    Oh ok, thats what was happening before. Unfortunately I havent access to the gen manual but Im trying to get one online..
    So it seems I may have assumed too much, see my previous reply to Rob.. so i need to establish exactly the type of earthing first then, what test to do?

15. DefyG

DefyG Regular EF Member

Suppose not, 3rd time lucky!

• Dumb Dumb x 1