Discuss How would you deal with this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A friend of the family recently lost her husband to the big C so I need to be careful. Every small thing is sending her into tears so when her dishwasher stopped working she had another moment.

The next day I popped around to take a look. She had a new kitchen fitted 18months ago including all the appliances. The first challenge was to remove the dishwasher. I had to hunt down the switched outlets first which are all fitted in a cupboard on the wooden side in a place that took a ladder for me to reach. The fuse was fine so I then tried to unscrew the fitted dishwasher. I was immediately annoyed as the two screws holding it in place from the inside of the machine were rusted to smeg. Why would any kitchen fitter, knowing these screws are in a wet environment, not use stainless screws, or at least use the correct covers to protect them. So it was multi tool time down the sides to cut them free. Then I found the plinth had been wood glued in place, so again the multi tool to cut the glue. 2hrs later and I discover the fault.

IMG_1232.jpeg
IMG_1230.jpeg
IMG_1233.jpeg

Just to get her running I replaced the plug on the appliance and fitted a new outlet after securing the completely loose back box, earthing it etc. And that grommet, I put in before I took this shot as there was nothing there.

Looking at just this one outlet I am concerned about the rest of the install but given her current situation I don’t want her under any additional stress. The funeral was only a few weeks ago. Should I contact her fitters (she has no idea where the paperwork is, her husband dealt with it) or should I just leave as is and maybe investigate at a later date when she is in a better frame of mind.

That socket certainly isn't pretty, but the problem here appears to have been due to fuse holder connection in the appliance plug.

I don't suppose you have any images of the plug?
No pics. The plug was indeed a mess. It had obvious signs of water damage probably because the socket is placed just under the water out hose on the dishwasher. My guess is condensation was forming on the outlet hose and dripping onto the socket. I can deal with that, maybe relocate the socket. It is more the general standard of work that is on my mind. Would you just rectify the issue, or go back to the installer and get them to do it?

I did wonder about the plug shaped staining - it may well have been water ingress, but poor connection between fuse and holder isn't unknown in this 'pile em high, sell em cheap' age.

The socket looks as though it predates an 18 month old installation, especially with white emulsion slapped over it. Regardless, I wouldn't be in a hurry to invite back anyone who'd install a socket in that manner.

I did wonder about the plug shaped staining - it may well have been water ingress, but poor connection between fuse and holder isn't unknown in this 'pile em high, sell em cheap' age.

The socket looks as though it predates an 18 month old installation, especially with white emulsion slapped over it. Regardless, I wouldn't be in a hurry to invite back anyone who'd install a socket in that manner.
I get the impression they re-used anything they could as long as it was not visible. They painted the wall before the units went in.

Thanks for your thought. They are very helpful

I get ALOT of call outs to burned out / blackened sockets and plug tops on fairly new kitchen refits. Some of the plastic melded plug tops on these new appliances dont' seem as good as the old fashion bakelight plug tops. Also kitchen fitters have a habit of taking old sockets from one job and re using them on the next job to increase profits.

I find the |"Captive " plugs a crap and swap them over . As for using old fittings..Thats a big NO and I bin everything .Just not worth it . In Regards to the lady ... make her a cuppa and just tell her that true friends just have to be honest and they are better than false friends .

I get ALOT of call outs to burned out / blackened sockets and plug tops on fairly new kitchen refits. Some of the plastic melded plug tops on these new appliances dont' seem as good as the old fashion bakelight plug tops. Also kitchen fitters have a habit of taking old sockets from one job and re using them on the next job to increase profits.
I think the use old stuff and fit here rings true. The fused switches mounted in the back of the cupboard also have paint on them. As the inside of the cupboard is not painted…. Frustrating when someone is spending thousands on a new kitchen. I would be ashamed and refuse to do it if I worked for a company that insisted on something like that. What have they saved? £50? I would bet it costs them more in the long run with repeat call outs.

I find the |"Captive " plugs a crap and swap them over . As for using old fittings..Thats a big NO and I bin everything .Just not worth it . In Regards to the lady ... make her a cuppa and just tell her that true friends just have to be honest and they are better than false friends .
Moulded plugs to me are a mixed bag. Many these days don’t even know you could cut them off and replace them should you damage it. I wonder how much ends up in landfill simply due to damaged plugs. Most under 30 don’t know how to wire a plug. I changed my neighbours 6 month old GHD hair tool as they trod on the plug. They were going to throw it away and spend another £240 on a new one as they just didn’t know it could be fixed in minutes for £1.50

We used to learn to change plugs in physics class…. Now kids don’t know one end of a screwdriver from the other.

If I’m putting my name to a kitchen refit, it’s new accessories all round.
Last thing I need is a callback because a 20 year old socket has suddenly giving up.

We used to learn to change plugs in physics class…. Now kids don’t know one end of a screwdriver from the other.
I put that down to the 'nanny state' that we live in now. It's far too dangerous to teach kids things like that. It's a sad sad world :-(

Sadly plenty kitchen fitters and builders have a bad habit of reusing old sockets and switches and plumbing fittings that they have removed from an old job. as mentioned above some of the sockets are covered in paint splatter and yet they charge the customer £150 for a new electrical point.

I used to do appliances as my first job, every built in dishwasher I ever installed always came with stainless fixing screws in the installation pack. The cheap one I fitted a few months ago also came with stainless fixing screws.

Used accessories seem to be the least offensive part of this. Single screw holding a galv box with cobbled together support behind it. No repair to wall and accessory sitting back behind wall level. T&E slung across the wall as no one will see it.

None of this is particularly uncommon and certainly isn't restricted to work from kitchen fitters. Plenty of sparks don't give a damn and will do the bare minimum required - or less than required if they can get away with it.

There's another thread with arguments raging about requirements and the way I see things is really simple. I carry out work to my own standard. It's a standard that often goes beyond regulatory requirements and I'll explain to customers where my proposals go beyond regulatory requirements and why. Some customers might deem some of my proposals unnecessary and feel a lesser approach, at a lower price, will better suit their needs and I'm okay with that.

I mention this because I'd also like to point out that while everyone seems to agree the socket in this thread is horrendous, there isn't much actually wrong with it from a regulatory perspective. Assuming it is electrically safe, and we've no evidence to suggest otherwise, this could be considered acceptable in every way other than aesthetically.

Could you tell her you're gonna give it a quick test as she is unsure where the paperwork is?

That would give you a better idea of overall condition and maybe even catch a few things before they become a real problem.

Reply to How would you deal with this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net