Discuss HSS drill bits in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys, started my apprenticeship back in may and i am getting a makita for my xmas and was looking at what HSS bits were best? I only do industrial work so mainly trunking, conduit and uni strut for drilling into. I've had a look around but cant seem to decide on anything. The guys at work have just been using newlec ones but everyone agrees they're made of eggshell. I think ive decided on the Lenox holesaws as well, i'l give them a shot an if theyre no good il go to starrett.
I was also looking for speed bits for going through plasterboard for conduit but am i right in thinking that they are mostly the same? I would only be using it occasionally.
Many thanks

Well, isn't it good to hear that there are still electrical apprentices being trained in areas other than T&E and SWA cables!! This guy will come out of his time, being capable of installing what sounds like all types of containment, metal as well as plastic containment systems... And know how to wire them too ...lol!!!

It's always far more cost effective as well as having superior performance to buy the better makes of drill bits, than the cheaper offings out there. But what ever you purchase, know that none will last forever, life will depend very much on the material you are using them on, Stainless Steel will tend to murder the sharpness and cutting ability of most drill bits and hole cutters. They are after all said and done, consumables.

I actually use cheap bits myelf, I bought a 401 mixed bit selection in a carry case for 29.99 plus 3 quid delivery from uk tools recently, I have just looked on their site and cannot see it now, I have used several bits a few times and they still work, ridiculous price really, drills break easy and are the sort of thing we throw out regulary, just buy the most you can for the cheapest price and you will not get upset when they break or go blunt.

Whatever you use get a tin of trefolex as well,its a cutting compound saves your drill bits and is a must on holesaws in steel,use it when threading conduit as well.

Whatever you use get a tin of trefolex as well,its a cutting compound saves your drill bits and is a must on holesaws in steel,use it when threading conduit as well.

that's rich man's stuff. i have an oilcan filled with what i drain out of the van . costs nowt and is as good as anything.

Thanks guys, il take a look into the Dewalt HSS and the Irwin set you linked to.
I know i will have to replace periodically as they'll be used almost every day for drilling out end boxes and trunking etc. I'l look into the trefolex too, ive used tallow and temaxol, also some orange stuff that froze in the container overnight, would be handy for when im doing odd jobs away from main site.
Hopefully at the end of my apprenticeship i will be able to do anything :), I don't fancy bashing houses for 40 years, first i saw of T&E was at college.
Thanks again guys

for flat bits, i always buy cheap, coz. you always manage to hit a nail. don't mind chucking cheapos when they are bent.

Thanks guys, il take a look into the Dewalt HSS and the Irwin set you linked to.
I know i will have to replace periodically as they'll be used almost every day for drilling out end boxes and trunking etc. I'l look into the trefolex too, ive used tallow and temaxol, also some orange stuff that froze in the container overnight, would be handy for when im doing odd jobs away from main site.
Hopefully at the end of my apprenticeship i will be able to do anything :), I don't fancy bashing houses for 40 years, first i saw of T&E was at college.
Thanks again guys

Dont forget mate if you are doing site work and you have a decent set of bits everyone will be on you like a flock of magpies wanting to "borrow" them.Get a load of cheap ones and keep a few decent ones inside your bag

Dont forget mate if you are doing site work and you have a decent set of bits everyone will be on you like a flock of magpies wanting to "borrow" them.Get a load of cheap ones and keep a few decent ones inside your bag

better idea is keep them in a little pot in pocket or they will go missing when someone routes through your bag

on a side note. is it that rare that aprentices do things other than T+E?

ive hardly done any T+E for a while (not since a house as a side job a while ago)

mainly 2",4*2",4" and some 6" trunking + some plastic trunking
plastic + galv conduit
tray
basket
uni-strut by the mile

tend to use irwin spiral bits for going through wood and they are great for that (20 or 25mm usually)

the packets of metal drill bits from screwfix are ok, black and decker pirhana bits are good too but 3x price......for 10mm+ I like Dormer bits and for holesaws I like Bahco ones, good quality and last a reasonable number of uses, no point in buying a 25mm holesaw for £25.00 as it will just wear out the same or somebody will pilfer it chuck and all when you are on tea break...

somebody will pilfer it chuck and all when you are on tea break...
somebody will pilfer it chuck and all when you are on tea break...

oh yes dont you know it!!!!!!!!

Or they will bring it back and say "i borrowed you bit mate i hope you dont mind,thanks.By the way theres something wrong with it".Then you have a look and your brand new razor sharp bit has the end snapped off

I also prefer the Piranha drills marketed under both the Black and Decker and DeWalt brands, their great advantage is that every drill (>3mm) has a pilot drill built in. So there is less change of drill wander from the centre pop particularly when using the large diameters, plus the drill cuts cleaner and with less effort.

Reply to HSS drill bits in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net