Discuss I bought a cannabis farm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'll try to cut a long story short... Just purchased a new property, which it transpires was being used as a cannabis farm by the previous owner who now lives abroad. Yes, they lied on their vendor checklist. On moving in I noted that there was no supply and called the supplier to get the power back on. It turns out that the supply was cut by Western Power after the property was raided by Police back in August 2021. Now obviously I want my power back on, though it doesn't seem right that I'm footing the bill for the previous owners illegal activity. Just got a quote back from Western Power who want £2300 (Inc of VAT) for the re-connection. I'm excavating outside myself for the prep work to lay a cable (5metres) so they can make the pot (Seems ironic given the building history) connection under my path. WP are suggesting that a service alteration is needed to install a 3 phase supply, to future proof my property for green technologies. 'The cost of this forms the bulk of the fee's for reconnection, and yet I didn't ask for a service alteration, and neither did the site team from WP say this was necessary. Can anyone here tell me if this upgrade is mandatory? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Oh, and the disconnection wasn't picked up on searches because WP have their records wrong, my meter is listed as being at my next door neighbours and vice versa. They had records showing my neighbour being disconnected and me having a supply. Of course when I questioned them on this, I got. "Oh, those are not actually our records.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Yes unfortunately with this situation the DNO (WPD) will ditch the supply its standard practice, because these criminals go to great lengths in tapping into the network this is the safest option, normally it is reinstated on a like for like basis at a cost obviously . I have seen some very crude setups even on the internal electrical installation which you will need to get checked before re energising.
I would speak to the DNO if you dont require a 3 phase supply hopefully they will reinstate a single phase supply. Good luck

I think that this is something you need take up with your conveyancing solictor
Thanks. I have. Nothing they can do they said and suggested I take the vendor to small claims court; this is despite the fact that they live abroad and don't come under the jurisdiction of the courts in England.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Yes unfortunately with this situation the DNO (WPD) will ditch the supply its standard practice, because these criminals go to great lengths in tapping into the network this is the safest option, normally it is reinstated on a like for like basis at a cost obviously . I have seen some very crude setups even on the internal electrical installation which you will need to get checked before re energising.
I would speak to the DNO if you dont require a 3 phase supply hopefully they will reinstate a single phase supply. Good luck
Thanks very much Dave. I've emailed WP and told them I haven't asked for a 3-phase upgrade/service alteration and that if it's not mandatory, then I don't want it. Incidentally, the illegal work/dodgy wiring is still in place, so also need a new consumer unit which will dispose of much of the illegal installation. Some very strange things going on with the wiring though so I will have an EICR done.

Did you get a survey done before purchase???
Now for the embarrassing bit... I'm a Chartered Surveyor. I checked the structure and looked at the consumer unit, which was an old Bakelite unit so I planned on an EICR and board upgrade anyway. I didn't check in the meter cupboard, which was where the tails had been cut. I generally spend 3-4 hours on Pre-purchase surveys, I spent about 45 minutes on my own.

Under WPD unless the network can not cope or handle it, then they provide a 3 phase supply as standard to all new conenctions. future proofing in case of renewables etc and load balancing.
I actually mamaged to get a free 3 phase upgrade recently, was a looped 60a supply, which they will unloop for free. when they excavated the cables and joints outside they discovered some issues with corrosion to the cable. couldnt use it so ran a new one in and jointer said it had to be 3 phase. as per new rules so customer and his neighbour now have 3 phase supplies.
My customer is happy as he currently uses a VFD for his machinery in the garage workshop. so will be back to get him set up for 3 phase in new year

the cutting off of grow houses at the street is standard for wpd and I believe several dnos now. expensive if you are the landlord but you need good insurance.

As others have said this should surely have been picked up on the pre-sell contracts/ info pack? I would be having words with your solicitors

Wow I didn't realise they went to such an extent to disconnect. Are you sure it's the three phase supply that's costing you? I would have thought it's the planning and digging up the highway.

Under WPD unless the network can not cope or handle it, then they provide a 3 phase supply as standard to all new conenctions. future proofing in case of renewables etc and load balancing.
I actually mamaged to get a free 3 phase upgrade recently, was a looped 60a supply, which they will unloop for free. when they excavated the cables and joints outside they discovered some issues with corrosion to the cable. couldnt use it so ran a new one in and jointer said it had to be 3 phase. as per new rules so customer and his neighbour now have 3 phase supplies.
My customer is happy as he currently uses a VFD for his machinery in the garage workshop. so will be back to get him set up for 3 phase in new year

the cutting off of grow houses at the street is standard for wpd and I believe several dnos now. expensive if you are the landlord but you need good insurance.

As others have said this should surely have been picked up on the pre-sell contracts/ info pack? I would be having words with your solicitors
Thanks very much Gavin, interesting reading... As I said earlier, it was never gonna be picked up on searches because the DNO had their meter records mixed up., my meter was listed as belonging to my neighbour and their records showed she had been disconnected rather than me. The DNO won't take any responsibility for that though. Your response pretty much mirrors what the DNO have said and to be honest, if I planned on staying in this property long term, I'd just get it done but if I can just have it re-instated like for like then that's what I'd do; It's why I wondered if this upgrade is mandatory if not required on safety grounds.

Wow I didn't realise they went to such an extent to disconnect. Are you sure it's the three phase supply that's costing you? I would have thought it's the planning and digging up the highway.
Yes, so were the WPD team who visited, they said they never do it like that. Yes, I'm sure, I have a full cost breakdown of works but yes, there's some related planning works like a street closure, but its all related to the three phase upgrade.

If you Google it there are pdf's stating the in road disconnects are usual practice. It was all western power though so I'm not sure how often other power companies do it.

I doubt there would be much difference just because it's three phase and it doesn't sound like you have a choice.

Maybe get a quote for a new connection, as if it was a new house?
I've seen such wildly varying quotes from WPD over the years for what appears to be almost identical work - there appears to be no logic involved whatsoever.
A case in point was at my own property, where I was variously quoted £0, about £1200 and £3500 for exactly the same job.

Now for the embarrassing bit... I'm a Chartered Surveyor. I checked the structure and looked at the consumer unit, which was an old Bakelite unit so I planned on an EICR and board upgrade anyway. I didn't check in the meter cupboard, which was where the tails had been cut. I generally spend 3-4 hours on Pre-purchase surveys, I spent about 45 minutes on my own.
That's typical isn't it Santa. I am meticulous when working in customers houses, but when it comes to mine it generally doesn't even get done!

I wonder if you could sue yourself for negligence? (petard, hoisted anyone?) Looks very much like you are going to have to bite the bullet on this one and stump up sadly. An action on the vendors is highly unlikely to produce a result considering pre-writ costs amount to 5k. Caveat Emptor applies as probably you well know. Quelle dommage! I feel for you.

Maybe get a quote for a new connection, as if it was a new house?
I've seen such wildly varying quotes from WPD over the years for what appears to be almost identical work - there appears to be no logic involved whatsoever.
A case in point was at my own property, where I was variously quoted £0, about £1200 and £3500 for exactly the same job.

After due consideration, which option did you go with?

Reply to I bought a cannabis farm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net