Discuss I bought a cannabis farm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was well aware that they had to do A job for safety reasons, but they thought they were going to get me to pay for it. I stood my ground, and got the £3500 version for £0.
What I didn't tell them at the time, was that I'd be wanting more work a couple of years later, and by getting the version of the first job that I wanted, I got the later job done for £1800, instead of at least twice that.

I wonder if you could sue yourself for negligence? (petard, hoisted anyone?) Looks very much like you are going to have to bite the bullet on this one and stump up sadly. An action on the vendors is highly unlikely to produce a result considering pre-writ costs amount to 5k. Caveat Emptor applies as probably you well know. Quelle dommage! I feel for you.
I'm covered for legal action relating to the house purchase on the buildings policy I took out the day before completion.

Thanks very much Gavin, interesting reading... As I said earlier, it was never gonna be picked up on searches because the DNO had their meter records mixed up., my meter was listed as belonging to my neighbour and their records showed she had been disconnected rather than me. The DNO won't take any responsibility for that though.
I'd still definitely be seeking advice from the conveyancing solicitor. At the end of the day you paid for a search and got the wrong answer. I can't see how the DNO can ultimately shirk responsibility for that, and by ultimately I mean when this escalates beyond phone calls to a letter from your solicitor and it reaches the big boss.
Instead of compensation, you can pursue a goodwill reconnection which they can practically do in their sleep. It should be very obvious from the circumstances that you are a different occupant / customer.
I'd stand your ground and be prepared to be not quite as nice.

I believe the data about meter serial numbers and the addresses they are at, and then the consumption figures, are all held centrally by the "Data Communications Company" About DCC - https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/about-dcc/ and then whoever needs info, like the service provider or the DNO, go there to get it.
So I suspect the DNO are telling the truth when they say it's not their fault!

At least that's how I understand it for all smart meters 🤔

WP's default position is to try to get someone else to pay, whether the other person is liable or not.
Had a situation fairly recently where WPs service head had caught fire, nicely barbecuing a row of three sub main switch fuses directly above it.
Customer received a bill a couple of months later for damage to their metering equipment, caused by a fire in our switch fuses.
This wasn't entirely unexpected by me, given the run ins I've had with them in the past, and I had taken several pics before the damage was repaired, as well as preserving the discarded, charred backing board that both WP's equipment and the switch fuses had been mounted on.

Last edited:
Doesn't the TA6 document cover the supply of electricity in section 13, this should have been given to you by the selling solicitor and it is their responsibility to make sure it is correct, If you have one what did the document say?

I don’t know if this question has been asked before, or answered…. But did the OP view the property at all before buying?

Funny smell?

Lights not working?

You are not at fault, so you shouldn’t be expected to pay.

A reasonably good solicitor should be able to work it out.

Reply to I bought a cannabis farm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net