Discuss I really need advice from an electrician ASAP. please help me? Im so confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Carla

-
Reaction score
I really need advice. I know nothing about electrics so i am looking for someone to give me some basic answers and help.

I want to put lighting around my ceiling. I need 20meters, I found 20 meters of led strip lights on ebay, they come in 4 rolls of 5 meters totaling 20 meters.

It says the specs are 12v 10a and 120watts (please see attached photo) I have tried asking the seller for advice but he isnt making much sense.

basically i need to know if the 10a power supply is enough to power 120watts (20meters) of led lights? im worried about it not being enough and they might over heat. im assuming it must be ok otherwise they wouldn't sell the power supply with the 20m set but i just need to make sure it is suffice to power it.

led.jpg

Hi Carla,

Welcome to the forums.

On the face of it, it appears that the power supply should be sufficient. However, buying from eBay, particularly if the seller is in China for example, can be a risk... particularly with electrical goods.

Looking at the picture you have supplied, the power supply MUST be in a suitable enclosure as it has exposed live connections. The connector used to connect it to the LED tape will also be of limited use in your application as you are wanting to go around the perimeter of the room whilst the connector supplied requires you to put the tapes all starting at roughly the same place (within the confines of that connector). I wouldn't want to run four of those connected in series as I suspect the voltage drop would be quite substantial, resulting in varying levels of intensity along the length of the run.

Just my initial thoughts based on the limited information.

Hope that helps.

Hi Carla,

Welcome to the forums.

On the face of it, it appears that the power supply should be sufficient. However, buying from eBay, particularly if the seller is in China for example, can be a risk... particularly with electrical goods.

Looking at the picture you have supplied, the power supply MUST be in a suitable enclosure as it has exposed live connections. The connector used to connect it to the LED tape will also be of limited use in your application as you are wanting to go around the perimeter of the room whilst the connector supplied requires you to put the tapes all starting at roughly the same place (within the confines of that connector). I wouldn't want to run four of those connected in series as I suspect the voltage drop would be quite substantial, resulting in varying levels of intensity along the length of the run.

Just my initial thoughts based on the limited information.

Hope that helps.

so that silver power supply you are sayimg isn't enclosed properly? my guy doing the job says i need 15m in living room but told me to get 20m roll.

you say the power supply is sufficient but you said they will have different levels of intensity. which i dont understand. what would you suggest i do to ovoid that

Nor would anyone else who knew what they were doing. Each strip would only get 3v if they were in series.

Actually what I was getting at was connected end to end.

These RGB tapes are typically 3 bus bars (or 4 if they have dedicated white elements to the LED chips) plus ground, and they can be connected end to end. But the voltage drop in the tape would be quite substantial on a run that long.

Actually what I was getting at was connected end to end.

These RGB tapes are typically 3 bus bars (or 4 if they have dedicated white elements to the LED chips) plus ground, and they can be connected end to end. But the voltage drop in the tape would be quite substantial on a run that long.
they wont be joined end to end as i have an opening to another room so both ends wont jojn. will this effect the light intensity

Agree with SparkyChick. Buy from a reputable dealer, not ebay. They will make up your strips to size and pair them up with the appropriate driver etc. There's loads of retailers.

i dont really have the time as i need them by next week. so need to order by tomorrow. i really just want to know what i was asking about in my last post

they wont be joined end to end as i have an opening to another room so both ends wont jojn. will this effect the light intensity

Reply to I really need advice from an electrician ASAP. please help me? Im so confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net