Discuss I really need advice from an electrician ASAP. please help me? Im so confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

how do i find a reputable dealer in ny area
p0596n5v.jpg

I would suggest you find an installer with plenty of LED experience. The trick with LED's is knowing from experience which products are good quality and which products are compatible with each other. Buying from China via EBay is going to be a lottery..... and one with few winners. Never buy any electrical or lighting products if the seller can't provide a comprehensive data sheet (in coherent English).

Given the lengths and wattages of the tapes you mentioned I'd be looking at 24v tapes, not 12v.

I would suggest you find an installer with plenty of LED experience. The trick with LED's is knowing from experience which products are good quality and which products are compatible with each other. Buying from China via EBay is going to be a lottery..... and one with few winners. Never buy any electrical or lighting products if the seller can't provide a comprehensive data sheet (in coherent English).

Given the lengths and wattages of the tapes you mentioned I'd be looking at 24v tapes, not 12v.
so basicaly if i just look for a qualified electrician with Led experience he will be able to figure all this out for me and make sure its done properly? because honestly trying to figure this out is stressful. id rather pay someone to do it

so if i got 4 rolls of 5 meters, i could attach them all together and cover the 20m room. does that mean at each point where i connect another 5 lm strip i would have to have an adapter n cord running down the wall? i planed to have the cable n adapter run down the corner of the walls and box it in to hide it
There will be a limit on the max length a single run of LED tape can be because the tracks inside the tape can only handle a certain amount of current. Usually the max length is 5 meters but can sometimes be up to 10 meters for 24 volt tapes.

If you need a 20 meter length of tape around a room you can't do it in a single run, you're definately going to need to make it in shorter lengths with multiple supplies.

so basicaly if i just look for a qualified electrician with Led experience he will be able to figure all this out for me and make sure its done properly? because honestly trying to figure this out is stressful. id rather pay someone to do it
Yes, LED design is not an easy area and it's likely to get more stressful if you don't find someone with good experience to do the design and a proper spec as well as the installation. There's a lot of junk on the market that's unreliable at best and downright dangerous at worst. There's even a lot of great quality products available that simply aren't compatible with each other and just don't work together. Also the currents involved, hence the wiring sizes involved, especially when you're talking about 20 or 25 meters of tape can also become something of a design issue. The whole area of LED design is a bit of a minefield.

so if i got 4 rolls of 5 meters, i could attach them all together and cover the 20m room. does that mean at each point where i connect another 5 lm strip i would have to have an adapter n cord running down the wall? i planed to have the cable n adapter run down the corner of the walls and box it in to hide it
You have caught me exactly when i am designing led strip for 10 rooms with recessed ceilings. All the recesses i have split into 2 runs, the manufacturer would only commit to 10M at 24V , but it is manufacturer specific. So i have two drivers feeding 10M each and two controllers linked together. BUT this is a specific design against a specific manufacturer. The devil is in the detail....... My client wants full dimming and colour control from his Ipad and mood switch so it has to be designed with full backing from supplier (manufacturer), the more you get into it the more you find the limits of whats doable. A 20M run is well out there, unless you get a written confirmation it will work, you are wasting time and money.

i planed to have the cable n adapter run down the corner of the walls and box it in to hide it

So as above. If the limit is 10M then you could still do what you want but have 2 10M lengths. Both come up the corner of the wall but split directions, so the corner is the centre point.

yep you can have 100M if you want, just split it down, most of my runs were between 12M and 16m, drivers are remote and have just run two 5core YY to each recess at one point as the recesses are either square or round

my electrician wanted to buy them from china. id like to get them myself from a reputable supplier but i dont know where. would it be somewhere like maplin or b&q ?
I doubt he’s an electrician if he wants to supply and fit stuff from eBay! Unless he wants to come back in a month and redo it....

Reply to I really need advice from an electrician ASAP. please help me? Im so confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net