Discuss if i could run faster than the speed of light... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

When I was an apprentice I worked on the extension to the cyclotron building at Hammersmith Hospital, was an interesting piece of kit, 3' thick solid concrete doors covered the entrance, made isotopes for cancer patients.

Pointless/interesting fact of the day

Incidentally the extreme bright light he perceived is mirrored by experiences of astronauts these flashes of light are collectively known as phosphenes where neurons along the the visual cortex and in the brain are stimulated by means other than carrying the signal created by a photon of light. They were well documented on the Apollo missions especially those doing high radiation runs.

Travelling faster than the speed of light is kinda like sex! Jam it in the hole and pull the trigger. Foreplay optional!:D

science is an engima wrapped in riddles wrapped in seamless kevlar

i love a good paradox

i personally do not think travelling backwards through time will ever be possible, forward relative to other on planet earth, is possible but not feasible

science is an engima wrapped in riddles wrapped in seamless kevlar

i love a good paradox

i personally do not think travelling backwards through time will ever be possible, forward relative to other on planet earth, is possible but not feasible

Depends on how you look at this, technically you are incorrect, any object moving faster relative to another object experiences time slower, people on a commercial jet flying high above are actually growing older slower than those on ground but given the small speed differences relative to cosmology values you will not ever conceive it, to note the SatNav's use atomic clocks that have to be corrected for the speed difference relative to the user looking up where he is on earth, if we did not allow for this compensation then the technology could not work... it's a mind bending concept to believe time runs slower for the SatNavs then it does for anything on earth but that is why Einstein is one if not thee most famous scientist out there.

Last edited:
Depends on how you look at this, technically you are incorrect, any object moving faster relative to another object experiences time slower, people on a commercial jet flying high above are actually growing older slower than those on ground but given the small speed differences relative to cosmology values you will not ever conceive it, to note the SatNav's use atomic clocks that have to be corrected for the speed difference relative to the user looking up where he is on earth, if we did not allow for this compensation then the technology could not work... it's a mind bending concept to believe time runs slower for the SatNavs then it does for anything on earth but that is why Einstein is one if not thee most famous scientist out there.
i mean something noticeable like years, like if i went away for a year for and the earth had aged 50 years

if i started running from where i am now faster than the speed of light could i bump into myself and trip myself up before i begin running?:runner::runner:

You might enjoy studying 'causality' which says that:

Causality is the relationship between causes and effects. It is considered to be fundamental to all natural science, especially physics. Causality is also a topic studied from the perspectives of philosophy and statistics. Causality means that an effect cannot occur from a cause which is not in the back (past) light cone of that event. Similarly, a cause cannot have an effect outside its front (future) light cone.

Also, how many runners are there in your thought experiment? You? Your faster you? You and your faster you?.......Are matter and energy being conserved in your experiment?

You might enjoy studying 'causality' which says that:

Causality is the relationship between causes and effects. It is considered to be fundamental to all natural science, especially physics. Causality is also a topic studied from the perspectives of philosophy and statistics. Causality means that an effect cannot occur from a cause which is not in the back (past) light cone of that event. Similarly, a cause cannot have an effect outside its front (future) light cone.

Also, how many runners are there in your thought experiment? You? Your faster you? You and your faster you?.......Are matter and energy being conserved in your experiment?
just me, if im running faster than light then i should be able to run into myself, or at least see myself begin running (running round a sphere and not in a straight line)

would the "me" that i run up behind be solid matter though?

elsparko - good man for making the effort to ponder some hard things about the Universe and the physics which describes it.

I am the one to tell you that space and time are not two distinct abstract things unrelated, unconnected or independent of one another. Eventually you had to know this - sorry to disappoint you. :)

As Einstein said - 'space and time are modes by which we think but not the reality in which with exist'. This is the gist of special relativity.

Gravity Probe B - Special & General Relativity Questions and Answers - https://einstein.stanford.edu/content/relativity/q909.html

elsparko - good man for making the effort to ponder some hard things about the Universe and the physics which describes it.

I am the one to tell you that space and time are not two distinct abstract things unrelated, unconnected or independent of one another. Eventually you had to know this - sorry to disappoint you. :)

As Einstein said - 'space and time are modes by which we think but not the reality in which with exist'. This is the gist of special relativity.

Gravity Probe B - Special & General Relativity Questions and Answers - https://einstein.stanford.edu/content/relativity/q909.html
yeah, the universe is certainly a strange place

like infinity, it technically is not something quantifiable, there is no number bigger than infinity, but if you say infinity +1 there is a bigger number but both are essentially the same :eyes:

just me, if im running faster than light then i should be able to run into myself, or at least see myself begin running (running round a sphere and not in a straight line)

would the "me" that i run up behind be solid matter though?
Forgetting the impossible task of doing this for a moment -
No it wouldn't be a solid you, you are only seeing information of the past IE like when we look at the stars at night, the light you see is like a video or photo of what was and thus is not solid, like in VR when you believe there is a real person in front of you but it is merely an impression of the past in the form of light.

We're all electricians here (most of us), Surely we can come up with the 1.21 gigawatts and the 88mph needed to travel back in time.

You draw us a picture of the device on the back of a big enough check and we will make it happen.;)

Ignoring time travel (and several other laws-getting broken)
(No. of Gs splatting you like a bug !)
, you could run thru your image ,as it tries to catch up with you.
But there will be only one solid version of you -

Reply to if i could run faster than the speed of light... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net