• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss I'm not sure if the Regs allowed separately bare earths. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sham

-
Reaction score
I've been on this job to do an inspection before fitting a new RCD OR RCBO board. In most of my career until now the CPC is inside the T+E cable. This property has a separate CPC all through out the building. Only where there has been modifications, modern wiring has been used. If I can prove the ZS is good, is it ok to connect to this system. It's seems to be mainly the lighting that is wired in single sheathed cable which has been ran in conduit. I am hoping if anyone has any information regarding the regs about separate bare earth running through the property. There is a risk of borrowed neutrals if changing to an rcd or rcbo board. The customer does not want a Rewire but wants spots fitted and sockets moving. I have convinced him to change the board, now I am worried about nuisance tripping. However if you could advice about the earth mainly would be a great help. Personally I feel the wiring was good for it's day.

I'm not sure if the Regs allowed separately bare earths. IMG_20181017_102010958 - EletriciansForums.net

Sticking my neck out here I’d say of course Because regs are not retrospective as long as all the tests are good and you comply with the current regs regarding RCDs etc I don’t really see it as any different to connecting to Red and black PVC.

Last edited:
Where does the earth originate ? In my experience separate bare cpcs like this are often connected to lead water pipes as a means of earthing.
Never actually seen that but good point. As long as the earth does actually come from the CU/fusebox and not the water pipe and all of the tests are ok I don’t see a problem.

Obviously upgrading the bonding as well when replacing the board

Seen it most where rubber twin (no cpc) was used, either VIR twin or TRS. Bare cpc was often taken from a lead pipe, either soldered on or clamped on, and taken individually to sockets.
Found this in the ceiling also was interfering just with my continuity test, traced the wire back to this . 1mm cable connected and two lead cables of 2.5. It was a stressful day lifting floor boards.

I'm not sure if the Regs allowed separately bare earths. IMG_20181017_100309007 - EletriciansForums.net

Found this in the ceiling also was interfering just with my continuity test, traced the wire back to this . 1mm cable connected and two lead cables of 2.5. It was a stressful day lifting floor boards.

View attachment 44941
Is that the guts of an old thorn 8ft brings me back to the first few months of my apprenticeship taking down these old lumps and replacing them with 6fts and I mean lumps just about a 2 man lift to get the bloody thing down:screamcat:

Is that the guts of an old thorn 8ft brings me back to the first few months of my apprenticeship taking down these old lumps and replacing them with 6fts and I mean lumps just about a 2 man lift to get the bloody thing down:screamcat:
Well, this is under the upstairs floor board and two cables come out, they felt cold and are metal, never seen anything like it. These metal cables go to the end of a roof end, loft. (It is a bungalow) they end up in junction boxes that go nowhere else. Diconnected

I’d disconnect the bonding and the bare earths from the board and do an R2 on the bare earth from the end at the board to ensure its complete and then again at the bit your going to connect into and to the board itself and then the pipes themselves just to rule out that the bare earth was coming from elsewhere I reckon if you do that you’ve pretty much proved beyond reasonable doubt that the earth is suitable and actually coming from the CU and not the pipes or anywhere else.

Well, this is under the upstairs floor board and two cables come out, they felt cold and are metal, never seen anything like it. These metal cables go to the end of a roof end, loft. (It is a bungalow) they end up in junction boxes that go nowhere else. Diconnected
Old lead cables probably wonderful stuff :rolleyes: the rest of the cables in the house aren’t lead are they?

Reply to I'm not sure if the Regs allowed separately bare earths. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back