Discuss Immersion faulty??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys
Customer had no hot water (house has no gas, electric only)
The immersion is on an fcu with timer straight to a 18inch element.

I replaced the element after testing for a good 230v supply across live and neutral and to earth.

the customer has must phoned to say it’s still not heating up.
It’s a simple system with good supply so I’m stumped as to what it could be?
Any ideas?
the timer is ok by the way.

Hi guys
Customer had no hot water (house has no gas, electric only)
The immersion is on an fcu with timer straight to a 18inch element.

I replaced the element after testing for a good 230v supply across live and neutral and to earth.

the customer has must phoned to say it’s still not heating up.
It’s a simple system with good supply so I’m stumped as to what it could be?
Any ideas?
the timer is ok by the way.
Hi
I’ve changed the whole element which comes with the stat built in on top.

Did you test the old element before replacing it? Have you tested for 230v across the element with the element in place? and have you used a clamp meter to see if it's drawing the correct current? Try switching the stat on and off with the clamp meter on.

I would typically test the element resistance back at the consumer unit (assuming any timer can be overridden), to see a complete circuit (typically circa 18 Ohm or so) including the wiring plus any isolating switches/FCUs that might be in circuit. (Also measure insulation resistance (L+N) to E, but maybe not so relevant here). Then when power is applied, check current with a clamp meter.

But no, I would never consider changing an element, I don't do anything that involves getting wet.

Too risky. Get a plumber to change the element, you just wire it up.

out of interest, did you check across the disconnected heater for a reading in Ohms?

if it’s shorted out to zero, or totally open circuit, then it’s goosed. Should read in the tens of ohms

If you tested 230 volts directly across the element, and it didn't get hot, you could have a faulty 'stat that's switching as soon as it gets a hint of the warmed water coming off of the element. If you checked that the 230 volts was there all the time that the water was supposed to be heating, then you have a faulty element. It's not unknown for a broken element to read OK when checked with an ohm meter, but then go O/C as soon as expansion occurs when the power is applied.
Another possibility for a cylinder not heating up is a water leak on the hot system, draining the hot water faster than its produced.
The tool you should have used is a clamp meter, checking the current taken by the element.

Hi-limit cut out reset?
These are often open when you take a new immersion out of the box, especially if they're the round type,* separate from the 'stat, but that's not relevant if 230 volts was measured directly across the element terminals.

*These are the type with a small black reset button, located down between two live terminals. Customers don't tend to reset these more than once without turning the power off.

It could be a L or N connection failing in the Fused spur /FCU or in the consumer unit or elsewhere but making enough contact for a meter to read.

Clamping the supply to the heater is essential especially if you aren't going to wait around till it heats up and switches off.

Has it got a second switch somewhere?

It could be a L or N connection failing in the Fused spur /FCU or in the consumer unit or elsewhere but making enough contact for a meter to read.

Clamping the supply to the heater is essential especially if you aren't going to wait around till it heats up and switches off.
Has it got a second switch somewhere?
If their is a high resistance joint somewhere in the supply the voltage tester won't read 230 at the element. If the voltage tester is reading 230 at the element and the water does, nt start to heat after 5 Mins ( usual "hissing" noise will be heard) that the element is gone. This can be confirmed with a resistance test

Reply to Immersion faulty??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net