Discuss Incoming Mains moved? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

natsirt

Need some advice, Can I move the incoming mains and meter (which is fixed to a wooden board) one meter to the side without getting the local leckie board to come out and charge me 900 quid? All the seals on the meter would remain intact as the wooden board would simply be re attached to the wall?

Is this legal?

Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers

T

What I would say is be very careful when moving the mains and the meter if your not going to break the seal and pull the fuse.

Ive experienced a tail from a meter just pulling out of the meter in my hand. Then I had to call the DNO.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
The company i started with did this.
SWEB quoted 2 weeks to move the meter and supply, we knocked a hole in the wall, poked it thru and refitted the wooden board the other side.

SWEB we're not happy at all but no seals damaged so little they could do.

I would say no, but…..

I got involved in it 25 years ago. It meant moving the paper-lead incoming cable and the board about 5m as the cable came in through the wall in to a cellar. The lad that wanted it moved was a builder.

1. dig up half the garden to the depth of the cable
2. chop out 3 bricks width of the wall
3. remove board from wall
4. slide board and cable along
5. brick up
6. repeat steps 2, 4 & 5 until required position reached
7. refix board
Convince meter reader he must be dreaming, “I’m sure the meter was over there”. Not my problem.
It took a few days to do, all I had to do was install a new CU

Last edited by a moderator:
The other way around it is to buy yourself a pack of seals and ferruls from ebay. Pull the main fuse and re-seal once youve moved the board. Suppliers never check the seals if they are inplace.

just be careful if it is a paper lead cable and try to make sure it doesnt twist in the cutout or you may just find out how much a little service cable can arc and burn before your very eyes and if this happens the sub station fuses will never blow.

Sorry to say i would pay the £900 , my life is worth more than that not being negative here but if something happens you are liable and the chances are you face prosecution or worst case you could end up 6ft under

Sorry to say i would pay the £900 , my life is worth more than that not being negative here but if something happens you are liable and the chances are you face prosecution or worst case you could end up 6ft under

I'm with you. Not worth it incase something goes wrong. Tell the customer to get it moved.

Reply to Incoming Mains moved? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net