Currently reading:
Initial sequence

Discuss Initial sequence in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

All this carping on about no live testing, you can't work live is just to protect the incompetent/unqualified otherwise known as Dave down or the pub or Electrical Trainee.

I'm guessing the schemes will accept a ze by enquiry and a zs by calculation thus only leaving the dead tests to be carried out by the pet mong sorry I mean short course trained operative!!

So, by not being allowed to do any live testing, high Z ees (due to external supply faults whathaveyou), wouldn't get picked up.
It's all bollox!

I fully agree mate but sadly with the way things are governed now, it will be the future way for all newcomers to the trade.

This is all total bs. Ze by enquiry is nonsense given the amount of times if seen a TN system with a stupidly high Ze. Also a Zs is the only test that encompasses the complete circuit including protective devices which can have high impedances which all this calculating rubbish will not find. I though the point of testing was to prove the installation is safe for the users.

What is now deemed to be essential H&S really boils my wee. How come properly trained (or supposedly properly trained) electricians are now not skilled enough to carry out a live test or two without endangering themselves or other people?
Like most I was taught how to do these things and many others that would now curl the hair of an on site H&S bod. I've worked live when there's been no other option, I've done so after carrying out my own risk assessment and putting a method statement in my own head. I've never needed someone with a clipboard and no electrical knowledge to stand behind me telling me what I'm doing is either right or wrong.
The entire world is going to hell in a handcart

my method statement is quite simple, lock the doors with key in lock/use other deterants to keep them occupied.

last resort is a lookout to sing/whistle along with song when he spots anyone around

I am not disagreeing with you, i am just telling you how it is. Read and understand the EAWR. The problem with the people who write all this legislation etc, consider ALL of us to be thick Electricians, and so try to minimise danger and if we go against the law and it goes pear shaped then we cop for it.

So please don't shoot the messenger.

Cheers............Howard

Are you sure the live EAWR working rules rules apply to testing procedures??

All this load of old crap about live working, doesn't apply to electrical testing, if it did, we all might as well pack our bags and call it a day!! Live tests are an essential necessity full stop, no matter what these half wits have to say... I suppose next, they'll be telling you, voltage testers cannot be used to test /check voltages above 50 Volts, or that you can't test/check phase rotation, ....and so on and so on!!

Hmm, ...Just a thought, so what does EAWR state about voltage testing and phasing out testing on live MV/HV systems, or is that against EAWR too?? lol!!!

Jesus the UK has got to be fast becoming the laughing stock of Europe, if not the world...

I'm not sure what Howard is referring to within EAWR.
From memory, it only states that Live Working should be avoided if at all possible.
I'm not checking at this hour!

IIRC, which I might not, when I was doing the 2391 we were told working live should be avoided unless absolutely necessary, so therefore if it can be calculated.....

I knew it was nonsense then and I know it is nonsense now.
My theory was... do as you are told pass the exam and when in the real world do it properly.

This is one of the main areas where Short courses and college only routes let down trainees.

Obviously a respect for those pesky little electrons is healthy.
In the real world we need to work live from time to time so being able to do it safely is of the utmost importance.

Reply to Initial sequence in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock