Discuss Inspection cert + wiring cover - misleading or not ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A recent customer said he would be getting a test of his nice old cottage electrics through cover he has taken out. I had previously mentioned a good MOT of his installation is via a full inspection & test and would take me a good day. When I returned a couple of weeks later I was informed it had failed once the tester saw the CSU's and was about to leave immediately, until asked to look at more of the installation approx 30mins max.

Now the general public are not to know whats involved but ...

1) Is generally selling electrical inspections service a good idea ?

2)Does this not undermine BS7671 inspection and testing as a whole and misinforming the public at large?

I know the attached could open the floodgates to other avenues/comments....but please focus on...should the public be receiving such a service and read the
small print in the attached cert!?

Elec wiring inspect cert 1 - Copy.jpg

Elec wiring inspect cert 2 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• Selling electrical cover 2018.pdf
    796.9 KB · Views: 21
I'll ignore how the form's been filled out etc. The form does say (at the end) that it doesn't fulfil the BS7671 inspection requirements. That's good, but I'd probably still give the form a C3 - that statement IMHO should be up the front end. And perhaps the title should be Visual Inspection Report?

Looks like it was completed by a child. Might have some value if the author penned things in a professional manner.

I hope they werent charged for that.
The funny thing is, the customer mentioned he will cancel his cover just in case they refuse any future claims while still taking his monies....not sure if he said they charged a very small fee as he requested it.

Attachments

• SSE0721+SSE+Home+Services_IPIDs_Electric+Wiring+Cover+Product+information+document,0.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 4
A recent customer said he would be getting a test of his nice old cottage electrics through cover he has taken out. I had previously mentioned a good MOT of his installation is via a full inspection & test and would take me a good day. When I returned a couple of weeks later I was informed it had failed once the tester saw the CSU's and was about to leave immediately, until asked to look at more of the installation approx 30mins max.

Now the general public are not to know whats involved but ...

1) Is generally selling electrical inspections service a good idea ?

2)Does this not undermine BS7671 inspection and testing as a whole and misinforming the public at large?

I know the attached could open the floodgates to other avenues/comments....but please focus on...should the public be receiving such a service and read the
small print in the attached cert!?

View attachment 41664

View attachment 41665
CSUs? not sure what you mean by this, sorry not trying to be funny

ConSumer Unit's at a guess. Abbreviations, we won't use words soon just a series of capital letters.

ConSumer Unit's at a guess. Abbreviations, we won't use words soon just a series of capital letters.
That's what I assumed as well Westy, whei first saw OCPD I thought the poster was saying he had OCD or something, yes you are right initials to describe things is becomeing the norm, if I ever use some words that may not be understood, I try and write in full followed by bracketed capitals.

Having viewed the new attachment and doing a dig about this is a monthly service cover costing £5 per month, they obviously send a monkey around to see if the risk is worthwhile and refuse cover to those who do not meet a minimum level. Probably not worth it for the average punter but Landlords like this kind of thing as the tenant can just call a number, it is a way of wiping their hands of any problems and getting what is in effect a free 'safety chevck'. This issue is that it is not an EICR but then again an EICR is not required for residential lettings. A mate of mine was an insurance underwriter and his favourite saying was 'a man is not adequately insured until his premiums exceed his available income'!

I just find a little frustrating that we have to follow the IET route while others can muddy the waters giving the impression to the public that a quick look is an electrical test. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of simpler forms/certs and simple visual checks should be promoted as such. (I have heard that the 18th will want more test info on the MEIWC......please.....drowning already). My assessment includes checking forms/certs I am using, I could reduce the EICR form to 2x boxes "Satisfactory" "Subscription required".
Thanks for the constructive feedback , I was hoping to take this issue up with some organisation but probably regarded :rolleyes: another grey area.

Reply to Inspection cert + wiring cover - misleading or not ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net