Discuss installation life expectancy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

theguz

is there a specific life expectancy for installations with pvc cable t+e for instance if so where in the regs is it cheers joe

No there isnt, too many variables for that too happen. Thats why there are different inspection periods for different types of installations.

Nothing that I've seen anywhere in a regulations book -- but there are numerous times brandished around in various books/articles you can find. Read one once that it was 25yr for T&E!!

No such thing as a pass or fail on a EICR, its either satisfactory or unsatisfactory. All you are doing is compiling a report. its upto the customer after that what they do with the info you have given them.

Yes as Dillb says about different periods for inspections and some inspections may become more frequent due to the condition of the said installation. And yes I think the general guide of 25-30 years is a figure that gets banded about, however you can not fail an installation just because it is getting on a bit, this is where your testing and results determine things.

Nothing that I've seen anywhere in a regulations book -- but there are numerous times brandished around in various books/articles you can find. Read one once that it was 25yr for T&E!!

Ive stripped out twin that's been on a catinary for more than 25 years and it was fine. I don't tin mk the cable is the problem with what is fitted today it's more the accessories and switchgear which is crap.

Cable manufacturers used to say 25 years warrenty on their pvc cables rated up to 70 degrees etc, however we all know they can last 60 years because there are some installations around still working that old.

I've seen 25 years bandied about by various bodies, but that is just a hypothetical period. Our project as well as many other high end projects often have a statement within the contract specifications relating too buildings and services shall be designed for a 50 year life. In reality it's almost impossible to design electrical and mechanical services etc for a 50 year lifespan as it's obviously going to be altered, replaced, upgraded, and modified extensively over that period of time. Regular inspection and testing is the only real meaningful basis to determine the condition of electrical and mechanical services...

The 25yrs was for installations of VRI cable and lead covered cable. The modern installation using Pvc could virtually last a lifetime , as long as t is installed properly and not overloaded. The only other consideration would be changes in designs of installation and sizes of appliances (KW), which as we know seem to increase in time. Back in 60's and 70's a domestic iron or toaster was never 2kw but they are common now.

I have never seen a piece of rubber sheathed T+E or cloth coated VIR that doesn't need to be replaced. Some pass IR tests but most have brittle cracked and crumbling insulation. It all must be of that age now.

I have also never seen a piece of MI that needs to be replaced due to age and deterioration, only if someone has reversed a fork truck into it or something.

Yes as Dillb says about different periods for inspections and some inspections may become more frequent due to the condition of the said installation. And yes I think the general guide of 25-30 years is a figure that gets banded about, however you can not fail an installation just because it is getting on a bit, this is where your testing and results determine things.

however you can not fail an installation just because it is getting on a bit

Excellent advise,I thought it was worth repeating because there is rumour there are still people not getting the message
icon7.png

however you can not fail an installation just because it is getting on a bit

Excellent advise,I thought it was worth repeating because there is rumour there are still people not getting the message
icon7.png

Whatever. Even the 5WWs know that a BS3036 DB is ILLEGAL and needs to be replaced before the house explodes.

The 25yrs was for installations of VRI cable and lead covered cable. The modern installation using Pvc could virtually last a lifetime , as long as t is installed properly and not overloaded. The only other consideration would be changes in designs of installation and sizes of appliances (KW), which as we know seem to increase in time. Back in 60's and 70's a domestic iron or toaster was never 2kw but they are common now.

If not stressed VIR will out live you. I sent 50 year old samples of VIR to BASEC for testing. They were as good as the day they were installed.
PILC I’ve re-routed 50 year old cables and reused them.

It all comes down to how a cable has been treated during its life.

Just rewired a VIR house and the cable under the floor was fine.... Made in Lydbrook in the Forest of Dean :smug: Didnt appear to have degraded at all, however where it has seen the light of day, or been warmed .... Different story.

Reply to installation life expectancy in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net