Discuss Installation of an ESI ES-CTD Cylinder thermostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Ok, maybe I'm being really dim here, but I've not connected up one of these before and now I've got 2 to do!

When the outer cover is removed there are 2 places where cables could be connected but the instruction "diagram" in the box is not helpful.

If anyone could give me a few pointers I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

Haven't connected one of these either but would say that the stat is more of an optimiser therefore you set the limit side at the highest temperature you would require and the stat side on the lowest temperature required then connect your calling onto the common as normal but the calling on the rate of fall and hopefully maintaining a constant temperature between your set values. Just an idea, as you say diagram is not very good and haven't fitted one either. Good Luck :)

here's the photo of the one I have to install:

ESI CTD.jpg

I've emailed ESi and have yet to have a response.

Any views from other members would be helpful

Thanks

Instructions are not clear are they.
From your picture you have three terminals I assume one on each side is an earth terminal?
From the instruction diagram there should be three live terminals on the unit but you have six.
Possibly a dual dual unit but unlikely. If one terminal on each unit is not an earth then you could have the junction points for every point on each switch coming out.
If you were to check continuity between terminals that should tell you which is C,1,2.

If there are two earth points then you ought to have only one contact on the left hand side according to the diagram.

However from the instructions stating that jumpers are supplied to minimise wiring and that you have a black and a green/yellow cable in the box I would expect that the far left terminal is C, middle is earth, next terminal is a "jumper" (black cable) from left hand unit to the left hand terminal on the right hand unit, middle earth again and lastly 1 on the far right.
Supply into C and switched line out from 1 to heater. Do not know where terminal 2 has gone!
added a piccy since I had done it, I think the wiring is as the lower picture.
CTD wiring.jpg

Just thought I'd post this picky, it shows the terminals, which are nuts and bolts and to gain access to them you have to take the unit apart - not an ideal product as its really fiddly!

ESI CTD inside.jpg

Making less and less sense, but I would now go for my top diagram, but that means that each block has both overload and normal thermostats which seems odd.

The unit really looks like it is badly designed and probably looks like it should open the other way up.

Making less and less sense, but I would now go for my top diagram, but that means that each block has both overload and normal thermostats which seems odd.

The unit really looks like it is badly designed and probably looks like it should open the other way up.

Yup, summed up well.

I called Stelflow this afternoon as its their tanks they are being used in and asked if they supply an alternative - answer no, and didn't seem to grasp the issue of the units being very fiddly!

Reply to Installation of an ESI ES-CTD Cylinder thermostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net