Currently reading:
Insulation Resistance Test??

Discuss Insulation Resistance Test?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kev2632

Hello,

im reading up on the insulation resistance test at the moment, when doing an insulation test on say a ringmain, and there is switched fused switches with neon, and the switch is OFF, can this still affect the reading? also when doing the L to N, why is it sometimes get really low reading of 0.01ohms, when everything is unplugged?. whats the reason for that?

Thanks.

The Neon should'nt have any effect as long as the Spur is off, the Neon is fitted across the load side to show when it's turned on.

An 0.01R reading on an Insulation test is a S/C it could be caused by wires not correctly terminated & touching etc.

I'm not sure about the switched fused units you have but I've come across those 5 into 1 plug banks where the neons are wired between the live and earth.

The thing with neons in circuit is that if they're between live and earth they'll actually illuminate during the IR test so they're easy to spot.

Hi Marvo: A switched fused spur is a Switch with an inbuilt fusehoder, used over here on the supply to such things as Burglar Alarms, Heating systems etc.

L-N Reading of 0.01 usually means you have missed an outlet. I find it in kitchens where sockets are in cupboards and often miss the Hob ignition and extract. For this reason I usually test at 230v first so as not to damage any equipment

Last edited:
L-N Reading of 0.01 usually means you have missed an outlet. I find it in kitchens where sockets are in cupboards and often miss the Hob ignition and extract.

Thanks mate: I forgot about that, for some reason I thought he was talking about new cct's. Oh well they say old age don't come alone lol.

Hi Marvo: A switched fused spur is a Switch with an inbuilt fusehoder, used over here on the supply to such things as Burglar Alarms, Heating systems etc.

sorry to be picky, but alarm systems use an unswitched FCU

could even be a cooker hood with it's plug and socket inside the chimney.

Do you think that Glenn possibly missed the bit about the RFC ? Have you turned off all sockets / spurs ? & checked for hidden sockets / spurs behind units in the kitchen ? Kitchen fitters have a habit of doing this. Also check in the airing cupboard if there is 1 to make sure the immersion is not tapped off the ring or as 1 i found today the central heating wiring chopped into the ring & taken into a landing cupboard.

Do you think that Glenn possibly missed the bit about the RFC ? Have you turned off all sockets / spurs ? & checked for hidden sockets / spurs behind units in the kitchen ? Kitchen fitters have a habit of doing this. Also check in the airing cupboard if there is 1 to make sure the immersion is not tapped off the ring or as 1 i found today the central heating wiring chopped into the ring & taken into a landing cupboard.
yea checked everywhere!!, there was no other appliances plugged in at all, would other circuits on the rcd affect the ringmain that is being tested?

sorry to be picky, but alarm systems use an unswitched FCU

You've obviously led a sheltered life mate, Alarm systems are supposed to use an Unswitched fused spur. Unfortunately a lot of Installers don't know the difference & fit Switched. I used to carry 20 unswitched on the van with me we were changing so many of them after subbies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you disconnect the RFC conductors at the CU & check ?

nope, dont normal have too, but can anybody answer this one" if you are testing at the Consumer on the 1 side of the RCD, and everything is isolated are you are doing L-N on the ringmain, will other circuits on that RCD affect the result of the circuit being tested????

nope, dont normal have too, but can anybody answer this one" if you are testing at the Consumer on the 1 side of the RCD, and everything is isolated are you are doing L-N on the ringmain, will other circuits on that RCD affect the result of the circuit being tested????[/

If you find what you think is a fault on an insulation test of any circuit then the first thing to do is completely isolate it from the board & test again.

nope, dont normal have too, but can anybody answer this one" if you are testing at the Consumer on the 1 side of the RCD, and everything is isolated are you are doing L-N on the ringmain, will other circuits on that RCD affect the result of the circuit being tested????[/

If you find what you think is a fault on an insulation test of any circuit then the first thing to do is completely isolate it from the board & test again.

Thanks for that, but if you are testing at the Consumer on the 1 side of the RCD, and everything is isolated are you are doing L-N on the ringmain, will other circuits on that RCD affect the result of the circuit being tested???

As posted before, Remove all cables from CU if you are getting these sort of readings and re test. Other circuits may have an effect as the neutral and earth will be linked as you are only isolating the line between circuits.

Thanks for that, but if you are testing at the Consumer on the 1 side of the RCD, and everything is isolated are you are doing L-N on the ringmain, will other circuits on that RCD affect the result of the circuit being tested???

I see what you are saying, and as long as all other MCB's, RCD's and the isolator switch are open.

However, is there only the one ring circuit?
I think you have to disconnect and confirm continuity as someone may have done a mix up of cables in the consumer unit.

As posted before, Remove all cables from CU if you are getting these sort of readings and re test. Other circuits may have an effect as the neutral and earth will be linked as you are only isolating the line between circuits.

Yea thats very true, doesnt some switches like 13amp switches fused, cooker switches, shower switches always isolate the neutral as well?

I see what you are saying, and as long as all other MCB's, RCD's and the isolator switch are open.

However, is there only the one ring circuit?
I think you have to disconnect and confirm continuity as someone may have done a mix up of cables in the consumer unit.

Yea just 1 ringmain doing the whole house, but when you disconnect the circuit and checking for continuity are you meaning just Ring Continuity aye?

Reply to Insulation Resistance Test?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back