Discuss insulation resistance test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Easy, main switch off, all MCB's closed or fuses in place, lead with croc clip on both ends from neutral bar to busbar, or if this cannot be done, a nice bit of single between the neutral bar and the outgoing side of any MCB, seeing as they're all connected through the busbar it matters not which one.

This is entirely acceptable for periodics, with limitations noted. You can't always know what sensitive equipment may be hiding here and there, i.e. alarm spurs, TV boosters, so I always go down this route myself.

A new installation should have been tested way before all the final circuits were terminated anyway, so you wouldn't have to think about RCD's in line...

That is indeed correct, I have done this test on complete 3 phase boards in offices with all IT equipment plugged in and have never had any problems.

You may be shocked by the low value that you find on most installations though, but if you can remember that parallel paths that you are testing lower the overall insulation resistance (formula 1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3) then this will prove that it is correct.

Reply to insulation resistance test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, I hope you're all keeping well. I have a question regarding insulation resistance testing. Whether doing a single circuit IR test or...
Replies
Views
Commissioning a busduct. My contractor has installed a 2000amp aluminum Busduct in a 17 floor office tower. The specifications state you...
Replies
Views
Commissioning a busduct. My contractor has installed a 2000amp aluminum Busduct in a 17 floor office tower. The specifications state you should...
Replies
Views
Hi! Some help would be appreciated! I've just moved into new house, wanting to check insulation resestance etc as getting some nuisance...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Is it necessary to test RCBO x5? Some say that you can’t even test at x5 times because it can damage RCBO. Others that you can...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock