Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement


Discussion in 'Business Related' started by jaydub, Jan 3, 2017.

Discuss Insurance in the Business Related area at

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. jaydub

    jaydub Regular EF Member

    Whilst I am in my last couple of months before I fully qualify as an electrician I will be self-employed and doing electrician mate work for various people. What do I do about insurance?

    I was looking at trade direct insurance and they seem like a good company, does anyone have any experience with them?

    Do I need to be fully qualified before I can take out an insurance policy?

    What are the grey areas here?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Taylortwocities

    Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

    I had my PLI insurance with Trade Direct. Reasonable premiums. Never had a need to claim, and that's when you really find out if an insurance company is up to the task!
    Then NAPIT came up with a reasonable alternative insurance as part of their membership, so I switched to them.

    IMO, as you are self employed you really must have PLI for yourself. You will never know if the person you are working for/with has a policy that includes you.
    I do not know, ask the insurance company!
  3. jaydub

    jaydub Regular EF Member

    I called them and they say I do not need to be fully qualified and there PLI and tool insurance is a must IMHO now I've looked into it so I will probably go with them, they seem quite helpful and it's not very expensive.

    Thanks for your reply
  4. davesparks

    davesparks Trusted Advisor

    Make sure you specify what you want to be covered for, some insurance will just assume installation work on single phase only, you have to talk to them if you do any 3 phase, inspect and test, emergency lighting etc etc.

    Also it's worth seeing if you can get personal accident and injury cover included
  5. Dan Johnson

    Dan Johnson New EF Member

    Business Name:
    Johnsons Electrical Contractors
    I was looking around for my insurance for quite a while as I had a bad experience trying to make a claim a couple of years back with my old insurer. In the end I went for a company called tradesman insurance 4u, they made it really easy for me to add on personal accident cover and I insured my tools as well. I don't think you need to be fully qualified but they were pretty helpful with my questions I had so just ask I guess. Their site is - Tradesman insurance 4U

    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
Similar Threads - Insurance Forum Date
PL insurance - work on boats? The Electricians Arms Sep 15, 2017
Insurance inspection following fire Electrical Forum Sep 14, 2017

Share This Page

  • Electricians Directory Post a Domestic Job Post a Commercial Job