Discuss Interesting find by this electrician... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
This spark films himself on a eicr and makes an interesting discovery on his initial walk round the house, scroll to the 5min mark to see what he discovers ...

Everything in that rouge board was switched on, I wonder if he did that for the video? Not so good for isolation though, but could have been addressed with removing the cables and a cover, which I think I spied in one corner.

This spark films himself on a eicr and makes an interesting discovery on his initial walk round the house, scroll to the 5min mark to see what he discovers ...

He should have switched off and locked off before he went poking around inside that CU\

Would have been a lot of work to set this up and of little benefit to a youtube channel with just over 100 subscribers.

Plenty of dangerous work gets carried out by qualified sparks, so it's not difficult to believe that this situation could arise in one property out of tens of millions of properties in the UK.

My best guess was the lid was already falling off and that was how he found it then went about removing the lid Before starting filming.

can’t see any reason why the lid would be off otherwise

It could have been staged, but equally that house was a strange mix of quality.

The attic having a socket off and missing smoke alarm being some of the points that I doubt he would have staged, but it was the kitchen that looked odd. Some of it very fancy and new looking, and some pretty poor (though safe enough) sockets as well.

In my 20 ish years I can honestly say I have only come across 5 or 6 fuse boxes still in active use completely missing the lid. Normally found under stairs or in a broom cupboard.

Plenty with gaps in the front or big gaps in the sides or top but rare to find the lid completely missing

Rushed board change and relocation?

Maybe he removed the cover, but it's not beyond belief that it was found that way and I don't imagine he went to the trouble of reconnecting those old tails.

It might be hard to believe, but not inconceivable and certainly not impossible.

Didn't watch it all, but picked up on a couple of points:
He did the Ze with the main bonding disconnected, rather than disconnecting the earth conductor.
He disconnected the main bonding and conducted the Ze test with the main switch STILL SWITCHED ON. A dangerous approach and not following standard procedure.
One more:
He tested PFC but not PSCC.

Don't have the stomach to watch the rest of it...

Reply to Interesting find by this electrician... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net