Discuss Intro and question about my current electricians advice on Underfloor heating in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I have had an electrician round doing some rewiring. Whilst most seems good i have had a few problems with him crossing lives and neutrals, connections coming apart and a broken pump (blew whilst he is working here says it was nothing to do with him though). I am trying to persevere with him but am wondering about his latest bit I have asked him to do. I am am having warm up underfloor heating installed and obviously this needs to be wired in. I made an assumption (dangerous) that the supply cable would be laid around the skirting board gap (which is off and being replaced) but instead he has crossed the floor under where the electric heating will be and said that will be fine. When I asked why he is going that way he said it uses less cable and running cable under heating cable is fine. He said that he could channel in the floor to get it level, at which stage I said why not just go round the perimeter, but he keeps saying it needs to go there. I had asked for the supply to run directly from the consumer unit and am wondering that the reason he is insisting is because he has shortcut the work somehow. In any event it seems really silly to me to channel out the floor if there is a simple path round the perimeter of the floor. So I'm stuck, I'm inclined to tell him to go away and look for another electrician, he works for me for £200 per day plus materials, I just want to have someone that does what I ask, or has the politeness to tell me why it can't be done. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it ok to run cable under electric floor heating cable? Is it OK to put liquid damp proof on electric cable? I'm getting very concerned

Thanks

Dave

Normally the "cold tail" supplying the heating element is positioned in through flexible conduit and would require a channel due to being around 18mm diameter. When you say the supply cable, are you sure you mean exactly that? As the supply cable is usually terminated in a fused connection usually switched. There is a point where the supply in becomes the element that point is where the cable supplying stops and becomes the element if that makes sense. What is under the heat mat, concrete or wood?

He might be resisting running the cable around the perimeter because he has run out of cable, or just because it is more work.

Do you know whether he is a member of a Competent Persons Scheme for electrical work? (The work he has been doing sounds like it would need notifying under Part P of the Building Regs. This notification is your responsibility, but you can discharge it if you use a member of a Competent Person Scheme to notify Building Control)

the OP rings alarm bells to me. surely the design of the ufh should be such as the tails exit the floor directly below the stat and FCU so there's no need to run cables round or under.

Most of first fix done, but in an old house and need more stuff done. Basically looking for a good reliable electrician, thorough, takes their time and does a spot on job. I have been paying a daily rate + materials and find that this is the best way to work especially as I'm in an old place and there are plenty of surprises.

Reply to Intro and question about my current electricians advice on Underfloor heating in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net