Discuss Introduction to the Forum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been (slowly) restoring my 1974 Saab Sonett for MANY years as a body off full restoration with a mix of OEM and resto-mod type details. Every component has been (or is in the process of being) rebuilt, upgraded or modified as I go. One of the last pieces to the puzzle has been the wiring system and I have decided to dedicate the last few (and many future) months to learning how to build a better electrical system while hopefully retaining/retrofitting a stock body chassis system.

Specialized forums have always been a great place to learn and I am hoping I can learn and grow from the advice and experience here!

Welcome! (I’m sure a lot of us would like to see a photo of your Saab if you get a minute)
Thank you! Here are a few pictures from when I first bought the car, a few mid-way and then the rolling chassis from recently. Lastly is what the car will look like (the orange car - not mine).

The chassis is restored, bodywork done and boxes upon boxes of new parts plus upgrades just waiting to go. Full engine rebuild (in pieces) with oversized pistons, shot peened rods, ported heads, ported 2 barrel intake manifold and weber carb. Lightweight flywheel, upgraded clutch, steel timing gears etc.

And now I'm tackling the wiring which is what brings me here to the forum!

Attachments

• 101_0185.JPG
    827.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170620_204337-e1498437415230.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230430_184553.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230430_192645.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180505_194248.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20121019_203351.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20141007_100837.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 102_0204.JPG
    604.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 102_0203.JPG
    693.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 102_0201.JPG
    513.7 KB · Views: 25
Thank you! Here are a few pictures from when I first bought the car, a few mid-way and then the rolling chassis from recently. Lastly is what the car will look like (the orange car - not mine).

The chassis is restored, bodywork done and boxes upon boxes of new parts plus upgrades just waiting to go. Full engine rebuild (in pieces) with oversized pistons, shot peened rods, ported heads, ported 2 barrel intake manifold and weber carb. Lightweight flywheel, upgraded clutch, steel timing gears etc.

And now I'm tackling the wiring which is what brings me here to the forum!
Looks a lot heavier than when you started :)

That's some work you are putting in. It's not a car I had even heard of. Looks like it's going to be a nice car when it's finished. I look forward to watching the evolution into a finished rebuilt car.

These are the Saabs that I own. Unfortunately the ones I own are just models :-(

Viggen.jpg
Gripen.jpg

I've just been reading the Wiki page on them. Is it the 2 stroke or the V4? I'm assuming the Ford V4?

I've just been reading the Wiki page on them. Is it the 2 stroke or the V4? I'm assuming the Ford V4?
That's some work you are putting in. It's not a car I had even heard of. Looks like it's going to be a nice car when it's finished. I look forward to watching the evolution into a finished rebuilt car.

These are the Saabs that I own. Unfortunately the ones I own are just models :-(

View attachment 113145View attachment 113146

Thanks! It's been a very long build (it's been pushed to the back burner more than a few times over the years) but I'm definitely excited to see it done too.

I have a Saab Viggen jet model too but it's still in the box..neat models!

Been into cars all my life, and wasn't aware that SAAB ever made anything remotely like that.

That's one of the things I like about it most - people have rarely ever heard of them let alone see them on the road. These were originally developed for rally racing then turned into a production car mainly from 1966-1974. The Saab 96 took over the rally scene before the Sonett got to see the course once rules were changed and the 96 was able to be very competitive.

This is the 1.7L closed deck Ford V4 from about 1972-74. The 1.5L V4 was used from 1967-72 (+/-) and the 2 stroke 3 cylinder is the rarest from 1966 until part way through 67 in the Sonett II before it was converted to the V4. The Sonett II has the cool tilt forward front bonett and column mounted shifter.

Mine is the Sonett III which was in production from 1970-74 and changed to a fixed bonett, pop up headlights (I've deleted my pop ups), floor mounted shifter and rear trunk "hatch" (glass) to replace the small trunk door at the rear of the II's.

Also to add - one of the big reasons you don't see these on the road much is because they did have a slight rust issue haha...as you can tell from mine. The floors, rockers and trunk were very prone to rust due to inadequate weather seals and chassis sealing. Unfortunately a lot of them have been lost to rust but there are still a decent amount hiding out there across the US. Plus the all fiberglass body sure does help!

I wanted to add a little history to the passion - the Sonett was the model that first introduced me to cars with my dad's '74 Sonett that I grew up around. Some of my earliest memories were around this car and I was instantly hooked at a very young age. That particular car "Little Red" was wrecked more than once and didn't make it past the last wreck but it's always been a great inspiration and memory. It's also the only Sonett I have driven so I'm even more excited to get mine on the road finally one day hopefully soon...

Wow welcome to the forum! What a brilliant project!!! How long of a build has your long build been?

Love all the photos!

Wow welcome to the forum! What a brilliant project!!! How long of a build has your long build been?

Love all the photos!
Thank you! Honestly it's been 20 years...bought it as a teenager, learning everything as I went. I mentioned before but it hit the back burner more times than I'd like to think about but I'm ready to get this project finished!

I've never had a garage where I've lived so it's always been stored somewhere I rent away from home which definitely hasn't helped either... but it's always easy to make excuses!

Well I am sure its very pleased you're giving it some tlc now! Vroom vroom! How long do you think it'll take to finish?

Reply to Introduction to the Forum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net