Discuss IP Codes Consumer Unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigd

Does anyone know the rules relating to IP codes for consumer units. My understanding is that the top of the CU is supposed to be IP4x and all other sides IP2x but I'd like to clarify.

What if the CU is mounted over 2.5m (not new install of course!!)

What do you guys do to restore the IP ratings where cables enter the CU at the top?

Have no idea what your talking about!!! The CU or any other IP rated unit will conform to whatever rating is stated....top/sides /bottom/front!!! Most IP rated units will be provided with screwed accesses, if someone has direct drilled, then you will need to seal those points with screwed blanks and lock-nuts and maybe sealant to ensure no water/dust ingress....

he means size of hole you make on the surface i think, so as the top needs to be maintained at 4x then the entry points need to be covered

Have no idea what your talking about!!! The CU or any other IP rated unit will conform to whatever rating is stated....top/sides /bottom/front!!! Most IP rated units will be provided with screwed accesses, if someone has direct drilled, then you will need to seal those points with screwed blanks and lock-nuts and maybe sealant to ensure no water/dust ingress....

I thought it was obvious what he was asking!! But yes I agree, to horizontal is IP4X (ie 1mm) and vertical is IP2X (ie finger size)

I thought it was obvious what he was asking!! But yes I agree, to horizontal is IP4X (ie 1mm) and vertical is IP2X (ie finger size)

As far as i'm conserned if an enclosure is rated say IP 55 then that is the rating of the whole enclosure, and that's the rating that needs to be maintained. Not one rating for the top an another for the sides and bottom or back.

As far as i'm conserned if an enclosure is rated say IP 55 then that is the rating of the whole enclosure, and that's the rating that needs to be maintained. Not one rating for the top an another for the sides and bottom or back.
Regulation 416.2.1 Live parts shall be inside enclosures or behind barriers providing at least the degree of protection IPXXB or IP2X except that where larger openings occur during the replacement of parts, such as certain lampholders or fuses, or where larger openings are necessary to allow the proper functioning of equipment according to the relevant requirements for the equipment:
(i) sutable precautions shall be taken to prevent persons or livestock from unintentionally touching live parts, and
(ii) it shall be ensured, as far as practicable, that persons will be aware that live parts can be touched through the opening and should not be touched intentionally, and
(iii) the opening shall be as small as is consistant with the requirment for proper functioning and the replacement of a part.
Regulation 416.2.2 A horizontal top surface of a barrier or enclosure which is readily accessible shall provide a degree of protection of at least IPXXD or IP4X.

I understand what you have posted here, these are minimum design criterias to fulfill Reg requirements. However, if say an enclosure of IP55 has been called for in a particular installation circumstance, then that is the IP rating that has to be maintained, Not IP4X or IP2X in relation to certain areas of the enclosure. After all there are some big differences in enclosures meeting different IP ratings....

OP is correct. That's the rule for CUs.

Easier if you have enough cable mount on small batten and go in through the back.

Not sure if height makes any difference.

The height does not make a differance to the IP rating of the enclosure , but mounting it at 2.5 meters would not comply with the regulations because you have to make CDU's accessible ,access to switch gear , same as a CDU realy , there is no where in the regs that stipulated the height having said that it does say accessible , here is where the common sence comes in ,realistically you should not need steps or a ladder to be able to reset MCB's/RCD and they must be installed where a disabled person is able to reach it IE between 1200 and 1500

Cheers Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I think I should have been more specific. My question should have been how to maintain the IP rating on a consumer unit. The manufacturers put these lovely 'knock outs' on the top of the CU, for the cables, which don't conform to IP4X. I guess a strip on trunking across the top will restore the IP rating.

I guess the easy solution is to run the cables into the back of the CU and not use the entry points on the top.

Alternatively mention was made of HAGER units which have a foam trip which maintains the IP rating. Do any of the other manufacturers have a similar system?

Nearly two years now, so I wonder if any other manufacturer has followed Hager (foam inserts for top cable entries) with a similar system. I can't find anyone?

Nearly two years now, so I wonder if any other manufacturer has followed Hager (foam inserts for top cable entries) with a similar system. I can't find anyone?

Why are you resurrecting old threads and continually going on about the same thing. If you have a point to raise why not start a new thread on it?

a current thread by hi tower " unbelievable " covers this topic.

Okay, caught with my pants down. Did see this one before the other, using the search system as continally advised by the mods. But this one does cover it as the original topic, where as the other is a splinter off the main thread, and the OP was never given a satisfactory answer. So mods, where do you advise on this one

Last edited:

Reply to IP Codes Consumer Unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net