Discuss Is an RCD needed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ross1

-
Reaction score
I am running a new circuit from the cu in house (which is on RCD and is TNCS) out to a log cabin. the new circuit will supply another cu, which will go on to supply a lighting circuit. radial circuit and a hot tub supply. I am going to install a rod for the cabin cu.

I am not putting anything on RCD in the cabin cause the cabin cu supply is already on RCD at the origin. Even though the earthing arangments are different, any leakage would be detected and trip the house RCD.

What are your thoughts guys?

I am running a new circuit from the cu in house (which is on RCD and is TNCS) out to a log cabin. the new circuit will supply another cu, which will go on to supply a lighting circuit. radial circuit and a hot tub supply. I am going to install a rod for the cabin cu.

I am not putting anything on RCD in the cabin cause the cabin cu supply is already on RCD at the origin. Even though the earthing arangments are different, any leakage would be detected and trip the house RCD.

What are your thoughts guys?

It would be better with RCD Main Sw on Cabin CU fed from a non-RCD protected way from house DB. Keep any earth faults to local DB's.

Enough!!

I've just deleted the lot, I don't have the time or the patience to edit them.

Any more and all concerned will be banned without further warning.

On same subject I had a 4 mm 3 core swa fed from main board ( non rcd ) on 32 amp type b breaker but loop was 4.2 due to the cable length ( 400 mtrs ) it's been in for 5 yrs and I'm upgrading main board! What's my options on making it comply as they need 20 amps min down there and they don't want cable replaced with bigger?

Hey Marvo, thanks Bru! I will not stoop as low!! There are some guys on here that are frightening some of the younger, less experienced folk away before they have had any helpful advise/experiences on this forum. I am a big boy and have been around the block. These guys DO NOT intimidate me. In box me if you will. This site needs to rid itself of these people.....they obviously have issues. I`m disgusted by their responses to newbies questions. I will be leaving the forum due to this and many other threads I've read.

Cheers

On same subject I had a 4 mm 3 core swa fed from main board ( non rcd ) on 32 amp type b breaker but loop was 4.2 due to the cable length ( 400 mtrs ) it's been in for 5 yrs and I'm upgrading main board! What's my options on making it comply as they need 20 amps min down there and they don't want cable replaced with bigger?

Your options are to replace the cable or replace the cable, its the wrong size cable whatever you do.

Reply to Is an RCD needed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net