Discuss Is it OK to connect a PIR in parallel with a wall switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy_C

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I want to add a PIR to a porch light but I want the original light switch to still behave as it always has.
i.e. both the light switch and the PIR can switch on the light.
The diagram shows what I want to do. The circuit is pretty simple and will work as I want. My question is this... Is it correct/safe to connect the switch and PIR in parallel like this?
Thanks!Switch+PIR 2.jpg

no problem with that,, however you will need to take a neutral cable to the pir as well

no problem with that,, however you will need to take a neutral cable to the pir as well
Great, thanks James.
I was thinking that when both switches are on it would create a loop in the live supply which might be a problem. So you reckon the loop is ok and isn't bad practice or anything?
Yes, I was thinking that about the neutral to the PIR 👍🏻

assuming the lives are from the same source (same breaker and therefore the same phase) not an issue.

assuming the lives are from the same source (same breaker and therefore the same phase) not an issue.
The live for the PIR will come from the supply side of the original light switch, so yes both lives are from the same breaker âś…
Thanks again James, much appreciated.

Many lights that come with sensors can longer be opened up to find the switch wire from sensor to light.
As such, they gave a switch sequence to bring the light on permanently… ie, turn it off-on-off- on within 3 seconds

No extra switch required

Reply to Is it OK to connect a PIR in parallel with a wall switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net