Discuss Is it possible to supply 110KW to a residential property? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

undernet

Hi

I am thinking about having 4 racks of very power hungry servers in a room in my house. Each rack needs 25KW, plus 10KW for other household uses uses (Kettle, hairdryer etc.). Obviously the electrics box and fuses are going to have to be upgraded but I was wondering if it is possible and allowed for me to a have a 100-110KW supply to my detached house or will this place to much load on a residential electricity substation?

Thanks in advance

Have another look at the handbook for the servers! 25KW each, you have missed something somewhere.

Most of the power will be lost in heat dissipation. 100KW in one room the solder will be running off the PCB’s. So added to the household load add 130KW for air conditioning.

PS. The UPS system will take up another room. It will weigh several tonnes. Then there is the standby generator. Where you put that is up to you!

You are looking at a three phase 400A supply to a house.

View attachment 12970

Before going on line with this system have a Google search for a reality check!

http://www.electriciansforums.net/a...10kw-residential-property-writing_process.gif

LMFAO lol.

Turns out the server came with the wrong manual. I only need 9KW for now which should not be a problem. Thanks for the posts anyhow.

Is it normal to have three phase 400A to a small commercial property (on an industrial estate for example), or is only single phase.

Just wondering what size of a commercial property I would have to buy to get this type of connection for future reference.

Thanks Again

http://www.electriciansforums.net/a...10kw-residential-property-writing_process.gif

LMFAO lol.

Turns out the server came with the wrong manual. I only need 9KW for now which should not be a problem. Thanks for the posts anyhow.

Is it normal to have three phase 400A to a small commercial property (on an industrial estate for example), or is only single phase.

Just wondering what size of a commercial property I would have to buy to get this type of connection for future reference.

Thanks Again
Small industrial or commercial would normally have 3ph 100Aamp supply and a quote from the DNO for a upgrade would be needed as the variables means a estimate wouldn't be possible without indepth knowledge of the local substations, demands etc, larger commercial and industrial may have 200A-400A incommers, but it all depends on the previous company or the buildings preposed use as to what you will get, you would have to make enquiries as its a question we cant answer as every building is different with a different history and approx' to sub-station.

LMFAO lol.

Thanks Again

I would think it highly unlikely that a small to small-medium industrial unit will have anywhere near a 3 phase 400A supply available. I think you'll be very lucky to get a 200A supply!! lol!! They will also probably want to penalise you, for contaminating the local DNO distribution TX with harmonic currents...lol!!

Hi, Have you got a link handy for a technical spec for these servers, or some similar? I'm struggling to imagine how a peice of IT equiment like that could possible require 9KW per rack..? thanks!

40A server rack !! YES INDEED!! some of our servers are power hungry 3 phase (dual supplied) monsters!

at the place i work (HP DATA CENTRE) we are currently pulling in the building

@ 20:59 = Total KW 3555.0 / IT Load KW = 2425.4

my stupid mate installed a server in his back bedroom of his parents house!! dont ask me why!!! but i spoke to him couple months ago and he has to keep a window open and even has portable aircon unit in there as temps exceed 30+ within minutes!!

might live in a fiber area ?? have a commercial package?

all ifs and buts!!
I got the impression that 'Fibrecity' went bust after digging up half the town. Even so there would probably be some kind of reasonable use policy.
Presumably you'd need a special line and equipment for a commercial package, and they might be reluctant to install that in someone's house.

Hi, Have you got a link handy for a technical spec for these servers, or some similar? I'm struggling to imagine how a peice of IT equiment like that could possible require 9KW per rack..? thanks!

imagesCA8DFG68.jpg

"Dont worry mum , this super-computer in my room is just for help with my homework"

Attachments

• imagesCA8DFG68.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 62
Thats about the same size as the first one I worked on Biff. A 286 would have had more power! The hard (Winchgester) drives were wheeled around on what looked like hospital trollies. If we had to have the program altered it would arrive on punch tape.

I've got a photo somewhere of a very young looking me wearing a lab coat, INSIDE such an animal, with a multimeter doing fault finding!!

Took the kids to the Kennedy space centre a little while back on hols, and they have got a 'real' mockup of the original Apollo control room with all the actual kit in it. They make no apologies that there is now more computing power in a wrist watch than was in that room. So I asked the kids what the moral of that story is..... and after some headscratching time told them: You don't need gadgets and technology to achieve things, you need hard graft, ingenuity and determination together with knowing your times tables. They got it, kind of.

ignore the rest OP, go for it, nothing wrong with a bit of ambition!!!!

Seems like someone is starting up his own space agency, Godspeed young cyberman

Reply to Is it possible to supply 110KW to a residential property? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net