Discuss is it safe to connect a 6 mm cable to a 2.5mm cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ghost67

DIY
Reaction score
We are getting our bathroom refurbished , our bathroom already had a 9.5kw shower we are getting that changed to a rainfall shower.
As we have low water pressure we are having a water pump installed.

The builder has connected the existing 6mm cable to 2.5mm cable (using a connector block ) for the socket for the water pump.

Is this safe ?

Can you show a picture. It is worth remembering builders are jacks of all trades and masters of none, most consider themselves 'electricians' and this couldn't be further from the truth. Tip, never let a builder convince you they can do your electrical work they cannot they have difficulty putting one brick on top of another.

Can you show a picture. It is worth remembering builders are jacks of all trades and masters of none, most consider themselves 'electricians' and this couldn't be further from the truth. Tip, never let a builder convince you they can do your electrical work they cannot they have difficulty putting one brick on top of another.
I cant show a picture at the moment ,when i say connector block I mean a terminal strip .
Like this :
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/16a-12-terminal-terminal-strips-10-pack/91532

And where is this connector block is it enclosed. I would strongly recommend you get an electrician involved especially if they have done other electrical work.

And where is this connector block is it enclosed. I would strongly recommend you get an electrician involved especially if they have done other electrical work.
in the loft in on top of the the loft insulation , the terminal strip is not enclosed . Hence why I'm slightly worried the that dust might get into the terminal strip and potentially cause a fire . Or am I just being paranoid ?

I assume this builder will give you no Certification to ensure compliance? It never ceases to amaze me that people will put their families lives at risk by allowing non competent people to do their electrical work thinking nothing will go wrong because it does.

I assume this builder will give you no Certification to ensure compliance? It never ceases to amaze me that people will put their families lives at risk by allowing non competent people to do their electrical work thinking nothing will go wrong because it does.
Pretty sure that water pump will have said right at the start of the M.I.'s.... you know, that thing about competence and electricians...

Just to echo what others have said: Do not let this person touch your electrics again.
If he is incapable of joining two wires together safely, then what is the rest of it like? Is there an isolator for the pump? What is the fusing for the pump?
I strongly recommend that you let a professional electrician look at this.

Reply to is it safe to connect a 6 mm cable to a 2.5mm cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net