Discuss Is my quote too pricey? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks. Quoted a little job yesterday and customer wasn't happy with quote so just want to see what you all think, I'd hate to think I'm becoming over priced so need some honest opinions on this quote.

In the customers utility she has one surface mounted single socket. She wanted that changing to a double. She wanted a new double socket adding further down the utility which I planned to extend the ring for. Then she wanted an outside light spurred off the ring which I obviously would need to add a fcu as a minimum but would've probably put a switch in too. All the above would've been surface mounted in yt2.

The customer was providing the outside light, I was providing everything else.

I quoted £150 for materials and labour and the customer said she was expecting more around the £100 mark. What do you all think? Really keen for some opinions on this whether they're for or against my quote. Cheers

Watch for the small items too. Wagos, raw plugs, wiska boxes, screws, cable clips, grommets, sleeving, back boxes, drill bits, sealant. They don’t replace themselves and all erode profit!
It’s an excellent point above to factor in testing and paperwork time too, and other time you spend the customer doesn’t see ordering bits and driving to the merchant to pick them up.
No point getting the job if after you’ve done it you’re not content with the profit.

I'm with Thomas Nagy and a recent video of his on this, once a customer has essentally started haggling, you don't want them. I'd just politely tell them they can probably find someone closer to their expectations if they shop around.

But as mentioned, the price seems quite reasonable. I did two fairly similar jobs over the last month, a bit more work with more sockets on an extended ring, both came out at around £220 (same customer, who was happy).

Totaly agree with above, if they are haggling over the price then you don't really want them as a customer! Nagy also said it's not just your time they are paying for its your expertise, qualifications and know how. I used to seriously undervalue myself when I first started on my own!
Now the price I give is what it is take it or leave it!

I'm with Thomas Nagy and a recent video of his on this, once a customer has essentally started haggling, you don't want them. I'd just politely tell them they can probably find someone closer to their expectations if they shop around.

But as mentioned, the price seems quite reasonable. I did two fairly similar jobs over the last month, a bit more work with more sockets on an extended ring, both came out at around £220 (same customer, who was happy).
Completely agree. It's a sure sign that there are going to be problems. They will start nit picking and the job will become stressful. Luckily, most customers either accept the price, or don't.

I have 10 phone calls a month asking me to do 'small jobs' just like the OP has posted , add an extra socket + maybe change a light or two. I now quote minimum £150 + materials if the job is likely to take me 1-2 hours. It is not negotiable.

I am fed up haggling with people on an hourly rate who scoff when I say I am £80ph they think I am pulling their leg or milking the job. I have to explain time and again I have insurance to pay , scam fees to pay , tools and testers to maintain in good order etc etc

I would rather turn the job down if it pays me less than £150

I'd explain if they don't like it they can always go to college for 3 years, then spend thousands doing an NVQ and end of apprenticeship test, spend thousands every few years on CPD, get and maintain a testing tool after paying to learn how to use it, spend a grand a year on a competent persons scheme, spend hundreds on tools, buy a van, insurance, uniform...and then they can offer their services to others who are sick of paying more than £100 for half a day of work.

These people boil my p**s.

Same person has no qualms probably spending a ton on a hair cut or a pair of trainers.

I'd walk away, those customers are usually a pain in the arse.

The same people who pay £80 to get their dogs groomed, every month, or £100 for a haircut as mentioned above. In my previous life, these types were always a pain, and the time and cost of sorting disputes far outweighed any profit. Until they actually pay, the client is the enemy...

The same people who pay £80 to get their dogs groomed, every month, or £100 for a haircut as mentioned above. In my previous life, these types were always a pain, and the time and cost of sorting disputes far outweighed any profit. Until they actually pay, the client is the enemy...
We have to remember that dog grooming and hair dressing are vital services which command a top end premium rate

Throwing a bit of wire at a wall is just childs play which any mug can do

THis so much ... Nice car on finance , and they want all the latest toys in their homes etc . But come the "trade" wanting a wage ....! its all a power struggle. best thing I do , NEVER EVER advertise . NEVER EVER pay money to on one of these recommended schemes etc . Dont touch facebook . Just work hard for good wealthy nice people .They do all the work for you .

Reply to Is my quote too pricey? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net