Search the forum,

Discuss Is SPD mandatory for a new circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I am after some advice on an installation I have coming up.

Its a new TP+N circuit in SWA (13m run clipped direct) for a 22kW Tesla wall charger.

I will be installing a Matt:e unit upstream to provide regs compliant RCD protection & Open Pen protection.

My main question is do I need to install an SPD for this circuit. I cannot find a unit that has SPD protection, meaning I can only install a separate unit (not possible due to space limitation) or install in the existing CU (an old TP+N Eaton CU) or leave it out completely.

Installing a separate SPD unit would mean a the circuit passing through a ridiculous amount of devices.

Main CU MCB ---> SPD UNIT (MCB + SPD) ---> Matt:e unit (MAIN SWITCH, RCD & O-PEN) ---> Wall charger

Any feedback would be much appreciated

You'd have to be mindful of SPD conductor lengths doing it that way.

I think Matt:E make a single board with Type A RCBO, openPEN detection and Type 2 SPD.
e.g ARD-1-40-TP-R-SPD
I have no idea what it costs though.

Without looking at the scenario myself, I find myself looking for ways to avoid the Matt:E, etiher:
1 - accept I'm banging an earth electrode in for the charger (if client has specified Tesla charger) and not connecting the charger to the TN earth.
2 - use a different charger that has open PEN detection

In either case you'd then be down to one enclosure (maybe even a horizontal one) that has Main Switch, SPD, RCD, and MCB.

Reply to Is SPD mandatory for a new circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock