Discuss Is the JIB becoming irrelevant? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jcarlie

Got told today that the 2 main electrical contractors on the olympic site are pulling oyt of the JIB.Anyone else heard this? If this is indeed true then that would mean they can set their own rates,no lodge or travel,im really becoming fearful about the future of this game.Mate of mine was in the job centre driday,1 page was offering 10 ph for electricians,the next page was offering 10.51 for painters and decorators.unbelievable really.

Got told today that the 2 main electrical contractors on the olympic site are pulling oyt of the JIB.Anyone else heard this? If this is indeed true then that would mean they can set their own rates,no lodge or travel,im really becoming fearful about the future of this game.Mate of mine was in the job centre driday,1 page was offering 10 ph for electricians,the next page was offering 10.51 for painters and decorators.unbelievable really.

I think, especially with things the way they are at the moment, companies will opt out of the JIB to save themselves a fair bit. As you said, they can set their own rates etc, so why not? If they've got 250 sparkys working 10 hour days, paying even £1 below the JIB rate will save them £2500 a day, or £12500 a week. Lower costs = bigger profits, and will help win future contracts when up against JIB companies. Not saying it's right, it's just the way it is - sparkies are worth nowhere near as much as they were even 2 years ago. I don't know who's at fault for this, if I had to guess I'd say it's the people offering 5 day wonder courses.

I've seen the ads in the jobcentre, plasterers brickies etc £12+/hour, sparkies £10, but there's nothing we can do. One recently wanted an experienced electronic engineer, with a University degree, and was offering £7.50/hr.

kitchen fittter on job in stockport , LAST year, 5 k week, price work, yes, 12 hr days, but wtf? Plasterers and painters more than us, we should give up.

has the JIB ever been relavant? Phone JIB and complain that the firm your working for are JIB and NOT paying JIB wage rates the JIB say that the wage rates are just a guide not fixed WTFs the point in having them then??

:mad: This all ties in with te debate about a licence scheme for sparks doesnt it.The JIB are the ones that verify your qualifications and grading.If the firms arent then paying the rate what is the point? In my opinion its not just the 5 day courses bull that is killing the trade but also the agencies,if i could i would get out of this game tommorow and that is a sad thing to say after all the effort,commitment,revision and damn hard work that i have put in over the years,feel totally let down by the industry and i would not recomend this game to any young lad leaving school.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Is the JIB becoming irrelevant? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net