Search the forum,

Discuss Is too late to start . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thommo

Trainee
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just wondering your thoughts and welcome any advice.
Just been made redundant again from my original trade of printer which frankly is a dying trade. I did a 5 year apprenticeship in the early eighties which at the age of 55 now seems worthless.
In and out of the print trade over the years I regularly worked on site ceiling fixing for my uncles firm.
I worked a lot of nights on London Underground steel fixing and installing ceilings and panels over track and escalators etc.Running compartment trunking along platforms, using chem fix on threaded rod and many other things.Therefore I do have plenty of experience using tools etc and have gained certification necessary for that work on lul.
All have now expired except CSCS card.Have enquired about this kind of work, but jobs are scarce and based on who you know.
I have been offered a start as a sparks mate and doing a months trial. Obviously I am not a kid who will be on his phone all day, I have a mentality of a good days wedge for a good days graft. I would want to learn as much as possible because I wouldn’t be content just labouring.More of an elderly improver, So I will give it a go, do any of you think I am too late . Old dog new tricks and all that.

Go for it. I hope I have a fallback when I'm 55. I don't know what I'd do when we're all virtual reality simulations of ourselves in some avatar-based world and we don't need forums anymore.

Keep your contacts, and collect some more while you're being a sparks mate. It's a handy trade to be part of by the looks of it.

(I'm not a sparky by any means!)

i'm still at it at 72. knees and back permitting.
phwe good job i proof read that. originally said i'm still a ---.

Awww as if we've got you proof reading posts now!

Both my back and my knees have gone, totally not related to anything work wise (cartilage gone in knees and had them out, and back fractured a couple of years ago) so I'm knackard if I tried to start wall and floor tiling again. There's bob hope I could do that now. I'm 38. So I'm hoping forums are still a thing when I'm 65 lol

:D :D

You've got a nice chance really to get into it again there. I'd go for it. Sod printing. Don't know why libraries are still going. Their computer-end is archaic in my local libraries. And their books untouched. Paper has had it's day I think. :)

Mind you, a lot of printers I know have gone into van sign-writing, and as a result kinda vehicle wrapping and then a bit of detailing too. And that's a growing trade.

So you shape your business to fit what's going or just give it up and change yourself. There's no one sudden day anything happens with a business. Usually.

Hello everyone,
Just wondering your thoughts and welcome any advice.
Just been made redundant again from my original trade of printer which frankly is a dying trade. I did a 5 year apprenticeship in the early eighties which at the age of 55 now seems worthless.
In and out of the print trade over the years I regularly worked on site ceiling fixing for my uncles firm.
I worked a lot of nights on London Underground steel fixing and installing ceilings and panels over track and escalators etc.Running compartment trunking along platforms, using chem fix on threaded rod and many other things.Therefore I do have plenty of experience using tools etc and have gained certification necessary for that work on lul.
All have now expired except CSCS card.Have enquired about this kind of work, but jobs are scarce and based on who you know.
I have been offered a start as a sparks mate and doing a months trial. Obviously I am not a kid who will be on his phone all day, I have a mentality of a good days wedge for a good days graft. I would want to learn as much as possible because I wouldn’t be content just labouring.More of an elderly improver, So I will give it a go, do any of you think I am too late . Old dog new tricks and all that.
I’m 61 and still wanting to learn electrical is awesome

Reply to Is too late to start . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net