Search the forum,

Discuss Isolation of TN supplies. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There is not quite the same thing as "reverse polarity" as you can have:
  • L-L swap leading to wrong rotation. This is not obvious without specific test (closer to SP reversal) but will likely trouble machines using 3P motors as fan direction reversed, etc, or
  • N-L swap and then almost certainly see SP loads on the two other L-(L instead of N) voltages burning out!
The first could go undetected if you only have SP loads, but the 2nd is likely to be found out pretty quickly so not likely to be discovered on EICR, etc!
Not really sure how this is overly relevant to what I suggested.

Yep, although I often see 5 cores used on motor circuits as the was on hand and neutral ends up parked in a connector.
In my first sparking era (late 90's) I was always told to run a neutral to the isolator, as the chances are whoever is using the machine will want a socket and a work light next week, especially in the case of lathes.
But if a socket was added and the N came into play we certainly didn't swap to 4 pole isolators!
I'd imagine RCD requirements prevent this arrangement these days anyway.

The only real benefit to TP+N isolation seems to be easier testing. At least I think it's easier to know that everything upstream is isolated and you aren't finding upstream N-E issues, especially when going through the IR permutations.

Reply to Isolation of TN supplies. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Quick question. I want to put an isolating 2p switch on my incoming supply from the meter to the board. I want this to allow easier board changes...
Replies
Views
Evening everyone . Currently looking at pricing a job up . It’s a hot tub supply . Outside socket with a few spare ways in an outdoor cu . 10mm...
Replies
Views
Over the last few days, I have stumbled across a number of threads that seem to point to a prevalent misunderstanding. Either that, or I have been...
Replies
Views
Hi all -- full disclosure I am a 'DIY-er' but wanted to post here for greater visibility seeing as I certainly won't be doing this work myself...
Replies
Views
The earthing arrangement where the hot tub will be installed is formed in the TN-C-S system. I want to install the sub-main distribution circuit...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock