Discuss Isolation Switches in a kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

keefy

Doing an installation and customer does not want switches for built in microwave, hot tap, washing machine etc... on show and wants them in a cupboard. I have persuaded them that the cooker must go on show for safety reasons (quick isolation in an emergency) but the others?

accessible is the key word. why not sell the idea of a 4 gang D/P 20A grid switch for isolation of all appliances?

There are 8, yes 8 appliances! some need fusing down and have considered grid but will still be a big unit.

They are already having shiny chrome!

Accessible is our "get out" term.

Therefore, if there is a cupboard next to, or above below, install it on the inside wall of said cupboard towards the door.

Tis what i does.

:)

Are you installing sockets behind the appliances thereby having a fuse in the plugtop? If so you'd only need 8 switches, ie 2x 4 way grids.
Otherwise maybe a bank of switches in a shallow cupboard so you can't obscure them with tins of beans? I'm thinking if you went for this option they should be labelled/etched.

Unless there is only a couple of appliances I usually fit a grid with fuses in, even if there is a socket outlet and fused plug. I leave a 13a in appliance plug and fuse correctly at the switch side. I find it increases the chance of the 'easy' fuse blowing and I don't have to man handle large appliances! But then again it will half what is on show. As for shallow cupboards... none!

Cheers for the feedback

Accessible is our "get out" term.

Therefore, if there is a cupboard next to, or above below, install it on the inside wall of said cupboard towards the door.

Tis what i does.

:)

Looks like the way to go as there is a convenient cupboard, unless someone can give a good reason not to!

the regs stipulate local means of isolation and mechanical protection unless rcds used so you have to use common sense not near any water ,or like a cooker switch above a cooker ,if they go in permanent fixed cupboards ,then this can be classed as local isolation as long as the client knows .

Looks like the way to go as there is a convenient cupboard, unless someone can give a good reason not to!

Only that just about every organisation, states that kitchen electrical points should be mounted within the fabric of the building!! Obviously that's not always possible where ''Islands'' are installed.

These owners can't seem to see past aesthetics, and many often come to regret hiding everything in cupboards. especially when a simple fuse blows in a plug top behind appliances or in cupboards. Then the sometimes heavy appliance needs pulling out, or cupboards emptied just to change a fuse!!!

As far as i'm concerned, ..local and accessible isolation, doesn't mean being positioned behind any closed doors, and that includes kitchen cabinets...

I reckon sockets in the cupboards with holes next to them big enough to get the plugs through to where the appliance is.
It's not ideal but aesthetically pleasing.

the regs stipulate local means of isolation and mechanical protection unless rcds used so you have to use common sense not near any water ,or like a cooker switch above a cooker ,if they go in permanent fixed cupboards ,then this can be classed as local isolation as long as the client knows .

Sorry Martyn but not quite sure where Mechanical protection comes in on this thread.

Reply to Isolation Switches in a kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net