Discuss I've just been asked to do a commercial EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been asked to do a EICR in a commercial property, So i popped in to have a look on my way home quickly and found the lighting cables are clipped to the ceiling and walls, So my question is... do the lighting circuits need RCD protection due to not being 50mm deep in walls and fire proof clips there was none, I cant seem to find the answer. I feel they do because of being surface mounted and fire proof clips for the fire exit routes. What code would you use for these? Many thanks

I was going to suggest a code myself, but dont want to answer westy's question for the OP.

Think of the wording on regs referring to cables BURIED less than 50mm in the wall.....

No disrespect here but these are rudimentary questions and anyone carrying out EICRs should know the answers. What Codes if any do you think you should apply.
None taken, I normally do domestic Testing, so thought someone would just be able to help, C3 for the lighting but because of them being on surface and only clipped i wasn't too sure for this. The fire clips i understand on new installs yes i would always use them but wasn't too sure regarding existing.

None taken, I normally do domestic Testing, so thought someone would just be able to help, C3 for the lighting but because of them being on surface and only clipped i wasn't too sure for this. The fire clips i understand on new installs yes i would always use them but wasn't too sure regarding existing.
You inspect and test to current Regulations. Cable support must not be prone to premature collapse in the event of a fire regardless of their location.

You inspect and test to current Regulations. Cable support must not be prone to premature collapse in the event of a fire regardless of their location.
Thanks, I understand that now. I just wasn't sure if you had different coding sometimes for commercial to domestic property's.
Thanks again. I'll check my Regs book next time before asking the questions.

My advice if your thinking of doing a commercial is ,have your teeth whitened ;a
Hollywood smile is essential .
Keep it bright and breezy and remember to
show your good side to the camera.

Reply to I've just been asked to do a commercial EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net