Discuss January to April 2012 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sambotc

So with the cuts to FITs and the threat of EPC's, do you think January to April will be as mad as the last 6 weeks?

Do you think you can make a business out of P.V on the 21p rates? A lot of the bigger companies are trying to push it still, obviously because they've invested so much into the industry they can't just drop out and get back on the domestic wiring etc?

I would imagine, and assuming the 21p stays (which i can't see it being changed now and even if it did the damage would already be done) the threat of EPC might spark another rush as people try to beat the April change, or are the profit margins to low to even bother carrying on in the industry?

After christmas, it's going to get busy again until march, 21p is viable - all the Social Housing bods reckon it is, though they don't reckon 16p is..

We have just put the financial case together, and if as a business you have social targets for CO2 reductions as well as being a high energy consumer, it still adds up (just..)

Watch this space - we have plans to avoid the problems we faced due to shortages of mounting systems and inverters. - We helped out quite a few other installers over the last few weeks with panels, cable, inverters, isolators, gen meters and even MC4's!! -We will not be caught out again.

The 80% figure will apply to any individuals/organisations with systems on more than 1 property. So social housing will only get 16.8p, unless they can come up with a watertight plan to circumvent it.

If the C rating requirement stays in place, then I believe Jan to March may be quite busy as anyone who has no chance of reaching C rating will need to hurry. But again, it depends on whether cheap enough material is available on the market...
Trouble is, several maunfacturers are reporting losses this year, even Chinese ones...maybe the price drops are happening too quickly! Serious risk of imploding!

I can't see how January can be busy when we don't have confirmation about the fit rate. I think as soon as the fit rate is confirmed and we know what's happening about the C rating it will go mad again and I foolishly moved my holiday from November to March :32:

Or clone yourself!

Hi

For anyone that hasn't seen this there was a meeting with DECC and solar industry members this morning where they were told there is a "high level of certainty" that the 21p rate will remain unchanged until April 2012. Apparently DECC took legal advice which meant they would "almost certainly" not be able to set the tariff lower than 21p without another consultation. A bit of reassurance maybe? Who knows...

Link is here: SolarPowerPortal

More madness in Feb/March then...

Cheers

I'm being stubborn - until Barking puts it in writing I'm not doing anything! A high level of certaintity does not mean it's nto going to change.

I'm emailing my MP again tomorrow, 4th time!

Barker did Tweet this yesterday at 19:30 -

@SolarChampion 2 b clear DECC r consulting on 21p (not lower) 4 anyone fitting pv btwn 12 Dec & 31 March. #FiTs
@SolarChampion Tariff degression proposals for pv fitted from April 2012 will be part of phase 2 consultation 2 b published in January #FiTs

I know it looks like it was written by a 14 year old, but there it is. Follow up requests for clarification have not yet been answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barker did Tweet this yesterday at 19:30 -

I know it looks like it was written by a 14 year old, but there it is. Follow up requests for clarification have not yet been answered.

Not bad for the 140 Character limit though :p I'm sadly impressed:ninja:

I don't think it will be that much of a rush on to be honest, those people who have been looking into it seriously will have either installed or not by 12/12. and any new takers won't be too concerned about the C-rating as most won't really comprehend what it means (similar to me 6 weeks ago) - and when you explain it they still won't be too bothered, i'm sure some sales guys will make a huge deal out of it, but until the house is assessed you just don;t know.

Only orders we are looking at at the moment are new-builds who are required to install something and they don;t give a monkeys about the FIT rate. They are told to install a 1KWp system and that is what they install. Even if there is space for 4KWp.

I still think there is business to be done and the FIT rates still make it an attractive proposition, but it's like a retail special offer - when the offer finishes it always takes a while for sales to get back to the level they were before the offer started. I

Would like some clarification on rate etc.., but otherwise i'm happy to sit it out and wait for a while.

Reply to January to April 2012 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net