Discuss JIB Technician card. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

skatingsparks

Afternoon

Seeing as the JIB don't respond to emails I was wondering if anyone knows what is considered a "approved equivalent" for the City & Guilds of London Institute Electrical Installation Work Part III Course Certificate on the qualifications and training required for JIB technician grading. I have the 2360 pts 1 and 2, city and guilds 16th edition and now have the 17th as well. Have my 2391 testing and inspecting, the new city and guilds design and verification (think its 2291-02, not sure it replaced the 2400 anyway) and my NVQ3/C and G 2356.

That lot with 10 years work experience and some choice references. Would the design and verification course be considered and "approved equivalent"

I know that people don't like to pay technician rates but I'm out in South Africa and these (insert plenty of swear words) are struggling with there stupidity in equating my UK Qualifications to South African equivalents. At the moment they have only recognised my 2360 pt1 and my 16th edition which makes me a not very qualified person over here at the moment but I'm trying to the Electrical Contracting Association over here behind me when I make my application for my Wireman's license over here. So I would like to show them that in the UK I can be graded as a technician. Have had my Gold card for years just never upgraded it (because no one ever asked to see it).

Any ideas, other than leave South Africa(being the obvious thing to do)

Don't get me started on the standard of work over here. As far a I can make out there are several different types of electrician here. There are the cheap ones who know nothing but can make a light come on but its done sooooo wrong you would freak if you had seen what I have seen in the last few months, there are a few (literaly a handful) of proffesional who do the job right first time and the third are they guys who must just spend all there time fixing the numerous faults left behind by the first kind. I can't tell you how many borrowed neutrals I have seen, how many bridged RCD's or C.P.C.s just cut out. I have seen whole house rewires without a single cable clip used with the cables installed using the "javelin technique"(tape cable to conduit and javlin accross roof space). Rough.... sorry I am rambling....

Advice appreciated

Afternoon

Seeing as the JIB don't respond to emails I was wondering if anyone knows what is considered a "approved equivalent" for the City & Guilds of London Institute Electrical Installation Work Part III Course Certificate on the qualifications and training required for JIB technician grading. I have the 2360 pts 1 and 2, city and guilds 16th edition and now have the 17th as well. Have my 2391 testing and inspecting, the new city and guilds design and verification (think its 2291-02, not sure it replaced the 2400 anyway) and my NVQ3/C and G 2356.

That lot with 10 years work experience and some choice references. Would the design and verification course be considered and "approved equivalent"

I know that people don't like to pay technician rates but I'm out in South Africa and these (insert plenty of swear words) are struggling with there stupidity in equating my UK Qualifications to South African equivalents. At the moment they have only recognised my 2360 pt1 and my 16th edition which makes me a not very qualified person over here at the moment but I'm trying to the Electrical Contracting Association over here behind me when I make my application for my Wireman's license over here. So I would like to show them that in the UK I can be graded as a technician. Have had my Gold card for years just never upgraded it (because no one ever asked to see it).

Any ideas, other than leave South Africa(being the obvious thing to do)

Don't get me started on the standard of work over here. As far a I can make out there are several different types of electrician here. There are the cheap ones who know nothing but can make a light come on but its done sooooo wrong you would freak if you had seen what I have seen in the last few months, there are a few (literaly a handful) of proffesional who do the job right first time and the third are they guys who must just spend all there time fixing the numerous faults left behind by the first kind. I can't tell you how many borrowed neutrals I have seen, how many bridged RCD's or C.P.C.s just cut out. I have seen whole house rewires without a single cable clip used with the cables installed using the "javelin technique"(tape cable to conduit and javlin accross roof space). Rough.... sorry I am rambling....

Advice appreciated
JIB Grading Definitions - Technician Grade Is does state,that you may need to be an approved electrician for the past 5 years

I was going for the Installation Technician grading, have had Electrician grading for years. Wasn't graded as Approved Electrician because I hadn't done the NVQ 3 at the time. NVQ's were a very new thing when I was doing my City and guilds, think they started during my second year so never go to do it at the time.

They ask for City & Guilds of London Institute Electrical Installation Work Part III Course Certificate, which I assume they mean the C course which is now long gone. Did the course just never sat the exams because my tutor failed to hand in my assignment and from that cock up the college didn't enter me for the exams, life got in the way and never went back to resit.

Just read a post saying the turn around times are 5 - 6 weeks on the cards. Didn't want to send it all off just to wait 5 - 6 weeks to be told I don't have enough.

Its the "approved equivalent" I'm after.

I have worked in the capacity as approved electrician, supervised quite a few big jobs, and have been employed as a "Technician". Will that do em do you think?

if you asked some of the previous firms who you have worked for under the role of technician to nominate you to the jib that might work as you already have a gold card, but be warned of the money racket, the jib might ask you to renew your card first at £35 then ask you to pay another £35 to upgrade to technician grade. then thers the case of the ecs H&S exam, im sure you will have trouble finding a test centre in south africa

Many thanks for the reply's

I have just completed my NVQ 3 so I don't have to sit the safety exam. JIB just like everything else in our industry these days, they just make us pay in. Pretty sure if I pay I can get one. Paid £600 to do my NVQ 3. After working 12 years don't feel anymore qualified for having done it, if anything feel a little dumber. Standing on a step ladder to pose for a photo to prove I can use a step ladder. How else would I have been getting to high places over the last 12 years, Jet pack??

Reply to JIB Technician card. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net