Discuss Jobs to show the NIC mna? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Adam Smith

hello all, I was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I am currently sorting my self out to register with the NIC and was wondering if people could post up the sort of jobs they showed to the assessor when they came to site.

Just looking to get an idea so I can see if any of my current work is acceptable and what sort of small jobs I could maybe do at a friends place to show them. Most of my current work has been through an agency and I understand I can not use this work for assessment (Agency might also take a dim view of me using their jobs to register myself :p)

All feedback much appreciated
Adam

You are going to need a couple of minor works jobs and a couple of EIC's. he might not look at the minor works jobs. Always a safe bet if you have a consumer unit change & or some sort of re wiring project. Make sure all of your paperwork is in order because they seem to be keen on that.

Not sure about the Domestic installer scheme Adam, but the approved contractor scheme is similar I believe except 5 jobs rather than 2 needed to obtain accreditation. I would suggest to you providing you have 2 completed Jobs carried out by yourself and they are tested 100% correctly and indeed certified you should be fine, from what I hear about the domestic installer side of the NICEIC they are fairly cooperative regarding new members but do like the paper work spot on, hope that helps Adam and let us know how you get on, oh one last question have you got all the books they like you to have?

MDJ - I haven't got all the books yet. I have the latest 'OSG' but I was thinking of borrowing the 'BGB' as I am fast running out of money (just completed 2391, NIC reg fee, public liability, etc... all adding up! Should have just become a cowboy electrician :p)

I am looking to become a domestic installer which from what I have read requires one EIC job and one minor works. Could I stick a radial circuit off a new breaker in my CU cupboard for the EIC job? I rent so I cant start making holes in walls!

I think that they perform a pre assessment visit in the first instance if my memory serves me right, during this they let you know what you need in place for the main assessment visit with regards to jobs, certification, publications and the such.

This was for approved contractor registration and may be different for domestic installer, not sure about this myself.

I don't know enough about the NICEIC Domestic installer guidlines to accreditation Adam to confirm that, if what your saying is right then in theory yes, but will the inspecting engineer be happy with it? haven't you got any Jobs at all you have done or can get done away from your own home to give him something to look at?

This was for approved contractor registration and may be different for domestic installer, not sure about this myself.

Hey Skywraps the Domestic scheme is nothing like the approved contractor, luckily for Adam. if it was hardly any new sparks starting up would get in haha.

pretty much all of my work is done through an agency so I can not use those!

I am going to look at a board change tomorrow, could I do that work before I am registered to issue a cert for it?

I don't think I have ever fully understood Part P! I have done an exam for Part P but have never really had any more dealings with it than that. I have a cert (it wasn't C&G but another governing body that issued it) I could flap in the NIC man's face, although he might not appreciate that :p

OK, here's another option. I rewired a house in April this year. The job was done through my boss who was very unwell at the time. I carried out all of the work from start to finish on my own and he came at the end to over see me test it and he filled in the cert and signed it off. Would this be adequate for them and is it also a recent enough job? If so I a have 2 rewires that I have done under this situation. this other was only about 4 months ago.

You need to have jobs that you have done in the entirety, since you have no certificates for the above jobs then you would not be able to state that it was your work as your boss has declared that he designed, installed and tested it on the paperwork.

The jobs can be up to a year old but you could come unstuck if you have a year old job that was not notified.
If you have a CU change that will be near completion when the assessor arrives then that would be your best bet. Nominally you should notify LABC beforehand but (if you pass!!) you could notify it once you are a member, or talk to your LABC and tell them it is for your assessment and they may be OK with this (but you are stuck if they are not OK).

The training course is fairly immaterial (just put it with the rest of your qualifications) they are looking for the competence to apply that training.

Part P explained: The electrical installation section of the building regulations letting you know that electrical work must be safe (by complying with the building regulations and wiring regulations) and stating that it is only applicable to domestic work.
Approved Document P: further expansion of what is meant in Part P, with some guidance on complying with the building regulations (by installing according to the wiring regulations) and with details of which jobs are notifiable to building control and how to go about it.

Reply to Jobs to show the NIC mna? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net