Discuss Joists in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

i would not evenj consider buying a house with pathetic twig joists, those flimsy roof trusses and weetabix floors.

i'll let you know in 50 years time. LOL. as if i'll live that long. be in guiness book of records.

wonder if there's a similar guide for wet-heads. it would have to be in simple pictures, though.

You should see the joists at a barn conversion I've been working at. The "plumbers" have drilled holes in each ceiling joist to route the underfloor heating pipes through, the holes must be 40mm, and the joists are only 150mm. But its the fact that the holes are everywhere, some on the centre line, some well below, some well above. In some joists there are two holes one vertically, well they offset them slightly, but that's 80mm out of 150mm!!!

And that's after I drilled two 25mm holes in each joist between 0.25 and 0.4 of span.

With under floor heating pipes why don't they just batten the top of the joists? Then all they have to do is notch a small piece out to get past the joist, and the pipe stays near the floor?

It does make me wonder why we all bother so much when no other trade seems to give a monkeys!

Love central holes but hate notches!!

At a house in the week found 2 live nails because some DIY knob thought they would stop creaking by nailing the centre of the floorboard. Nails missed the pipes but the bodged-in cable run sandwiched inbetween the pipes, got holed twice (L on one & across N/E on the other). System protected by an inoperative 'Voltage Operated Earth Leakage Breaker'.

Good job it nail didn't go through the pipes - that would have been serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Joists in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net