Discuss Just registered so let me introduce myself. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I began my training back in 1977 as an apprentice in the Army, worked all over the world mainly building/maintaining bases and temporary power stations. Since leaving I have worked in Mining, Shipbuilding, Offshore and of late in Facilities maintenance and management. As most of my work has been overseas, its been interesting (and frustrating) trying to bring local standards up to whichever set of Regs we have at the time.

As most of my work has been overseas, its been interesting (and frustrating) trying to bring local standards up to whichever set of Regs we have at the time.
One of my favourite memories is of being in Qatar and having a discussion with a local engineer about something and he simply replied with "Don't use your English things on me, we don't have those regulations here...." It brings a different perspective to life!

Although a few years ago there was a post on this very forum which ended in an all-paid invitation for me to go to a private dwelling in Hong Kong to resolve an issue that the (ex-pat) owner had lost patience with the local tradesman trying to resolve.

Greetings and a warm welcome to the asylum!!

One of my favourite memories is of being in Qatar and having a discussion with a local engineer about something and he simply replied with "Don't use your English things on me, we don't have those regulations here...." It brings a different perspective to life!

Although a few years ago there was a post on this very forum which ended in an all-paid invitation for me to go to a private dwelling in Hong Kong to resolve an issue that the (ex-pat) owner had lost patience with the local tradesman trying to resolve.

Greetings and a warm welcome to the asylum!!
Working in HK takes a lot of Patience ..MY brother did well in Airport Terminal baggage Design management all over the world . The new HK Airport project )Then) was not going well Until he arrived . He spent some time in HK as a Kid and went to School there etc . So he knew exactly how you need to be with The "Locals" in order to get things done . He said they where good workers mainly and Have really changed their "working habits" !

Reply to Just registered so let me introduce myself. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net