Discuss Kinetic switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In what sense do you think they are a potential headache/callback problem?

I'd rather not tempt fate, but I'm pretty happy with my decisions to use them.

I’ve had problems with kit like this pairing in the past and just randomly stopping working etc. You set it up, works and then packed up in 6 moths. Of it stops working when he neighbour uses their microwave.

Well, if you're talking about the WiFi versions, I would tend to agree with you, there is potential to be a pain. But for the basic switches, as I said... I'm happy with my decisions to use them.

Well, if you're talking about the WiFi versions, I would tend to agree with you, there is potential to be a pain. But for the basic switches, as I said... I'm happy with my decisions to use them.
So you’ve not had any call backs? My other concern is if the signal will pass through stone walls in old houses.

I've fitted quite a few, only once had to pair one again, some have been in for maybe 4 or 5 years, and so far no problems.
The only tricky thing is using dimmable modules on LED lighting...as ever, some combinations work, some don't. However, the straightforward installation and lack of switch-drops makes life very easy, and worth the extra outlay, imho.
[automerge]1596982594[/automerge]
The range is very good, and yes the signal does seem to find a way in most places. I don't know about old solid stone walls though. I had one in my garage which was integral to the house, and the walls were brick and block and the signal never failed.

I can't comment about stone walls, but unless my clients aren't calling me, all installations of them are still working just fine (some well over 12 months old).

I've tended to use them when running new cables would be a nightmare or we need to do things like change things so say two lights that are supplied by different sources can be switched together.

It would help if posters could state which brands of kinetic switch they are talking about, I'm sure there is a difference between the best known brands such as quinetic and the raft of unknown/unbranded stuff out there.

I recall MK making a big thing of their new wireless kinetic switch years ago but I don't think I've seen any sign of them since then.

Used the quinetic for 2 way switching in a 17th house where the walls are all original timber panels (Nelsons other mistress lived there allegedly) anyway loved em and had no problem and haven’t heard from the customer so assuming all good.....,I wish everyone would have em as I hate chasing walls in old houses ?

Reply to Kinetic switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net