Discuss Kitchen appliances in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dedwards96

Hi

We have recently moved house and I am just curious about how the kitchen appliances have been wired up. the house is relatively newly built (3 years or so) so I'm assuming it meets current regulations etc.

The cooker is as I would expect - with its own double pole switch and single socket outlet above the work surface next to it, but it is the fridge/freezer, cooker hood, washing machine and dishwasher that I am confused about. There is a 4 gang switch box above the work surface on one wall of the kitchen - each switch labelled with one of the aforementioned appliances. I have never seen anything like this before, hence my question.

Is this switch box likely to be part of the ring main for the ground floor or will it have it's own MCB/RCBO I'm the consumer unit? Also, how will the appliances be connected to it? With twin+earth cable or flex? Will the appliances still have fused plugs attached or hard wired into this switch box?

Thanks in advance...!

Dan

The switches are double pole 20A grid switches and are a means of locallyl controling built-in appliances under worktops. They are hard wired (T&E) to the the noted appliance socket outlet/fused connection unit, so will include 1362 fuse. The switches could either be on the ring circuit or a radial circuit.
It's a standard means of wiring, and should be of no concern for you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Kitchen appliances in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all. So I'm designing my new kitchen and trying to plan where things will go. I currently have a 6 switch panel for the appliances (hob...
Replies
Views
Hi I am asking for help as a novice and 1st time user of this forum. Recently started to experience tripping of MCB & sometimes with the RCD at...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'd like to seek your input on a matter. I'm in the process of designing the electrical connections for the following kitchen...
Replies
Views
Currently planning a new rewire for my kitchen and want to get things right first time when it comes to appliances consumptions and circuits...
Replies
Views
DIY'er question: I have a singe switched fused spur above my kitchen counter, providing power to an undercounter fridge socket beneath it. The...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock