Currently reading:
Kitchen sockets keep tripping, push to test button keeps making it go to half way

Discuss Kitchen sockets keep tripping, push to test button keeps making it go to half way in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LouiseSheffield

Hi,

I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this:

My kitchen sockets have been tripping often for quite a few months, usually noticed when we get home from work. I'm not sure what the culprit is so I just go down to my cellar and flick the switch back up. Last night it wouldn't go back up. I turned all of the sockets off and it still wouldn't, eventually it would but when I pressed the push to test button the RCD lever goes to half way. I tried leaving the kitchen sockets lever down and leaving the 'lights first floor' up only, and pressing the push to test button and it still went to half way. Same with the 'central heating' and 'sockets back room'. Bit weird. I've now just left it up and I'm not pressing the push to test button but surely this is not safe and it will continue to trip. I've attached a photo

Is there something wrong with my fuse box?
The last time this happened it was simply my dishwasher and I replaced the fuse in the plug.
The boiler is sometimes not working when it happens, sometimes it is. The washing machine was off when it happened yesterday as was the dishwasher and kettle and toaster, but the oven and fridge were still working, the boiler was working yesterday but then when I was trying to flick the lever up it did at some point go off. I'm very confused!

Hope someone can advise.

Thanks,

Louise
P.s. I am 31 today :D

Attachments

• Fuse Box.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 43
Happy birthday Louise, hope you have a humdinger of a day.

can't be sure from the photo, but some RCDs trip to half way down. you need to push down then up to reset. either way, you need a spark to come and sort the problem. a few members round sheffield area.

Chances are it's something that's plugged in but it could also be a combination of several smaller earth leakage faults as well. As Tel suggests you'd need to get an experienced electrician because the chances of finding the fault(s) without test equipment are very slim.

got it. the RCD is overloaded with unnecessary stickers.

As Tel said, I think these RCDs are the sort that when they trip, you need to pull the lever fully down, before pushing it up to reset it. That is quite normal, and should not stop you pressing the Test button to check the RCD trips.

But as Marvo said, if the RCD is tripping often, then you likely have one or more faults that need finding and correcting. This may well be equipment plugged in or otherwise connected (e.g. boiler, connected by fused connection unit). Or it could be faulty wiring, outdoor wiring is often a good candidate for this (garden lights, outdoor sockets, etc.). It is better to find the issue(s) now, rather than wait till a wet, cold dark evening when you can't reset the RCD.

It would help if you could try and track down the "culprit".

Look for ANY pattern with the tripping and then when a spark arrives you may shorten the length of his visit.

Thanks all. I didn't realise til I looked in to it then when you press the push to test button it's supposed to make it trip! Dur. I was panicking because I normally flick the RCD lever down then back up and it wouldn't stay up the other night. I now can't remember whether it would stay up if I had the kitchen sockets off!

I thought the boiler would be on the central heating one not the kitchen sockets one?
We have had problems with the boiler before even after replacing it.
Though I think the culprit may be the kettle, although not had it more than 3 years, it's the only thing that was switched on that then wouldn't work. Also when I lifted up the base while it was still switched on last night, I heard a crackling sound twice when I moved the wire! It's also the only thing that is used in the morning. Hope it's that as that won't cost me anything as we have a spare!

Thanks for the advice and for the birthday wishes, we had homemade pizza and prosecco last night :grin:

so see how it goes with the spare kettle. if all is fine, then bin the duff kettle.

for info the MK RCD's do trip to half way as the lads have said pull down to reset could be an appliance or could be underlying fault so keep an eye on it

So I thought I'd fixed it by replacing the fuse on my kettle as it hadn't happened in months.

It's happened twice now in a month. The weird thing is none of the individual circuit levers have gone down, just the main one has gone to half way. See photo:
photo[1].JPG
On one occasion it went back up straight away. On the other occasion it wouldn't go up when the kitchen sockets circuit lever was up (on).

It's very strange, it trips anything from twice a month to once every couple of months. What could make the RCD trip so intermittently?! Help please. :willy_nilly:

i would say you have an intermittent fault. this could be anything from a trapped cable to a bit of steam from the kettle getting to a socket.

Thanks. What's a trapped cable?
It happens either over night when we are asleep or when we are at work.
This made me think maybe it had something to do with the fridge/freezer or boiler.

trapped cable is where the cable is foule by metalwork ( backbox, screw, etc. ) and the insulation is damaged.

how far is sheefield from leeds? couple of knowledgeable members in leeds and rotherham could sort it for you.

Thanks, Rotherham's not far, I've contacted an electrician friend of a friend to see if he can figure it out. I'm be glad when it's fixed and intrigued to know what the culprit is!!

Reply to Kitchen sockets keep tripping, push to test button keeps making it go to half way in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock