Discuss LABC advertising? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

sam400

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all I had a call from my local building control on Friday, they said they are putting together a colour a5 guide that helps people through the various building control process's, and would I like to advertise in the back? It will also be included on the BC signature to emails as a Ebook link.
it's £500 + vat a year not cheap but what appealed to me was that most people that are contacting building control etc are serious about getting work done and are not the time wasters that you seem to get with other forms of advertising.

is this a good opportunity or just another marketing ploy?

would appreciate people opinions on this.

thanks in advance

sam

Last edited:
Perhaps the so-called "Police" and similar local worthless directories are not bringing in enough advertisers now, and this is just another variation on the same theme?

Ha ok fair one thanks for your quick responses. The company was called LABC publishing but they emailed me a letter endorsed by the the local BC manager. They said there would be a 'handful of electricians' suitably vague! Maybe the LABC want to produce a guide- so they have to answer as many questions - but they want other people to pay for it?

sam

No this is a straight up thing, every labc submission (here) an A5 booklet is sent to them it has details about builds, regulations and such things plus adverts for local companies......

What i found was that most people who submitted for planning already had in Place the trades they were going to use......ergo waste of time having the advert in the booklet.

When i got suckered the company sorting the adverts were called Tenalps.
If you do sign up to this make sure you know when and how to cancel, as most now do a rolling year o. Year fee.

if it was £50 , i'd go for it. £500 is your scam ransom for a year.

I've been offered the "chance" (for a hefty fee) to be the only spark in publications for the local police, fire service, WWF, NSPCC, NSPCA, my local schools and a lot more...I've always decline and yet to ever see any of these posted through my door!

As suggested I'd do some due diligence by contacting the LABC direct and get info about this publication from them rather than from the private publication company who has a contract with them. 500 pounds sounds like a lot of money just for one advert without any exclusivity ie you're the only electrical company, if I was spending that amount I'd want to know first it was going to be effective..

I have also been contacted by the LABC about this change in the way they are doing things. I was contacted directly by a council dept and my given point of contact was to pop into the local council offices and discuss things there, no agency seemed to be involved.
The blurb was that they have to be seen to be doing this by central govt and the costs for advertising were merely to cover the costs of printing, admin, and distribution, and hence were completely negotiable. I didn't really swallow that though and lost interest when they told me the advert commitment was for a minimum of 24 months.

Reply to LABC advertising? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net