Discuss Landlord thermostats? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Customer lives in an old farmhouse, part of which was converted into 2 B&B apartments. The owner has had 2 additional zones added to the main house central heating system, a zone for each apartment. The plumber has done his bit, and installed zone valves onto the pipework, but not connected electrically. Now I need to install thermostats in the apartments, wire it all up to get it all up and running.

The owner wants to have exclusive control of the target temperatures in each of the apartments, with the guests being unable to override this. Ideally the owner would be able to operate this remotely from the apartments.

Does anyone know of a product that will achieve this?

The Timeostat is designed for landlords to not allow the tenants to tamper with it.

Thanks for your help with this guys.

I had a look at the Timeostat and the heatmiser neostat, but these may be a little complicated for my customer. I'm considering very simple heatmiser dial thermostats installed in the main house, with the thimble sensors wired in the apartments. My customer (and I) like this idea as it's very simple and doesn't involve apps, hubs and other things that old folk (and I) seem to struggle with. They are happy that the heating schedule will follow that of the main house.

Data sheet for the thimble sensor says the cables can be extended by 20m. I'm expecting the run to be slightly longer than this, about 25m, so I contacted Heatmiser technical for advice. They replied:

"The cable I would use is BELDEN 8541 or equivalent, the longer cable run may affect the temperature readings but the real issue is induced voltage or spikes in the cable make sure you earth the cable at one end and route the cable away from mains cables you can cross them at 90 degrees just don't run the cables parallel.
We have only tested to 20m so cannot guarantee it will work at 30m."

The easiest, most direct route for the cables is clipped to the outside of the building, so I can easily route them away from mains cables, however the recommended cable is for indoor use. Does anyone know of an equivalent that is suitable for outdoor use? And can anyone see any problem with routing the cables to the apartments together, or are they likely to interfere with each another?

Thanks for your help with this guys.

I had a look at the Timeostat and the heatmiser neostat, but these may be a little complicated for my customer. I'm considering very simple heatmiser dial thermostats installed in the main house, with the thimble sensors wired in the apartments. My customer (and I) like this idea as it's very simple and doesn't involve apps, hubs and other things that old folk (and I) seem to struggle with. They are happy that the heating schedule will follow that of the main house.

Data sheet for the thimble sensor says the cables can be extended by 20m. I'm expecting the run to be slightly longer than this, about 25m, so I contacted Heatmiser technical for advice. They replied:

"The cable I would use is BELDEN 8541 or equivalent, the longer cable run may affect the temperature readings but the real issue is induced voltage or spikes in the cable make sure you earth the cable at one end and route the cable away from mains cables you can cross them at 90 degrees just don't run the cables parallel.
We have only tested to 20m so cannot guarantee it will work at 30m."

The easiest, most direct route for the cables is clipped to the outside of the building, so I can easily route them away from mains cables, however the recommended cable is for indoor use. Does anyone know of an equivalent that is suitable for outdoor use? And can anyone see any problem with routing the cables to the apartments together, or are they likely to interfere with each another?

You could try contacting Canford Audio or Van Damme cables, they may have something appropriate that's suitable for external use.

The sensor will only be a thermistor - a resistor that changes value with temperature, so it doesn't require anything too sophisticated in the way of cabling. Any screened two core will do, and I doubt there would be many problems if it wasn't screened.

You could try contacting Canford Audio or Van Damme cables, they may have something appropriate that's suitable for external use.

Thanks, I recon this should do it:

The sensor will only be a thermistor - a resistor that changes value with temperature, so it doesn't require anything too sophisticated in the way of cabling. Any screened two core will do, and I doubt there would be many problems if it wasn't screened.
Same as UFH floor sensors? I did wonder if that would be the case. The resistance of these is measure in thousands of ohms, so presumably the resistance of the cable, a couple of ohms isn't really important?

Thanks, I recon this should do it:

That was the one I'd looked at too 😀

They also have this, but it's double the price:

Reply to Landlord thermostats? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net