Discuss Landlord's EICR query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Your right on both counts but your still wrong with your classification of the fault and nowhere does it say not to use them. In the right application they're fine. Unless your going to go round the tenants property and workout the earth leakage from all their appliances but even then it would be a C3 as it's only a nuisance. In other areas a board with an RCD main switch is the right choice. On an EICR we can put notes along with our classifications which should be done in a case like this. Yes they are all shalls as in divide circuits & minimise hazards but it still leaves it open so we can choose the best protective devices for what we are installing and at the time that was the best way so it's still a C3 with advice. RCD main switches are fine if that's what's required.
I don't think you've fully read my posts. I now accept that it is a code 3, and under normal circumstances that is absolutely what I would code a single RCD board. The reason I thought this one might be considered different is because it is clearly a new board (amendment 3 compliant) and therefore was installed at a time when Split Load was required at a minimum in this kind of installation. You say 'at the time this was the best way', but in this instance it definitely wasn't.

Not sure 314.1 says not to use them or 531.3.2. Can you be more specific.

531.3.2 says, in essence, that you shall limit the risk of unwanted tripping.

Fitting a single RCD to protect a whole installation does not limit the risk of unwanted tripping. Therfore a single RCD protecting a whole installation is not fully compliant with the current edition of BS7671.

Unless your going to go round the tenants property and workout the earth leakage from all their appliances but even then it would be a C3 as it's only a nuisance.

Measuring earth leakage is not relevant, that is only relevant to actual unwanted tripping, we are not concerned with that, we are concerned with limiting the risk of unwanted tripping.
Regardless of what the actual earth leakage is at any one time there is always a risk of unwanted tripping due to it changing.

Yes it is a C3, but that just proves that it is not compliant!
C3 is given to items which do not comply, do not present a potential or immediate danger, but can be improved for safety.

A C3 is not given to things which comply!

Reply to Landlord's EICR query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net