Discuss Lead sheathed cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recently rewired two old houses one was a 4 story farm house 6 bed, drawing room, dining room ect the other a 4bed cottage, both were done without a scratch as they had been newly decorated, boxes raggled into solid walls with only a small chase to the skirting board, other sockets were installed in existing single socket positions and new sockets were installed on uprights (lath and plaster) luckily the drawing room dining room and halls the skirting board was about 12" sockets were cut into them. All it took was a little more time and effort fishing cables which paid off in the end. Got to love these old houses with loads of room down the walls and under the floorboards (apart from the dreaded deafening and when you have to dig it out to fish up a cable)

Cottage was getting its 4th rewire! Evidence of cap and case in walls, then metal conduit, then Micc and then us "throwing" in T&E, must have had about 8 different fuse boxes!

It was a good history lesson seeing how it used to be done, pipe work threaded through the fabric of the building was a work of art, In fact it was in such good condition the whole system was used in the farm house for the lighting with the old socket circuits and VIR stripped out and old mains changed it was cast iron with N&L fusing still in use.

Unfortualy cables had to be left in as both were occupied homes and they wouldn't move out so power had to be left on in some cases, was a real pain, every night boards down, carpets down and Hoover! They even had the cheek at the end of the job to complain about there carpets not being stretched even though we had rewired the house with no damage to the decor!

In an ideal world, all redundant cables would be stripped out but not always practicle. We certainly weren't going to turn the house upside down again when we swapped the power over to new circuits just to remove the old cables. Interestingly no lead cables at all.

(Sorry for the long post!)

Last edited:

Reply to Lead sheathed cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net