Search the forum,

Discuss Leaving jobs before completion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As the title, anyone here got experience of leaving jobs part way through?

I've a client we've been doing some major work for that is pi$$ing me right off. Making all sorts of unreasonable demands and is now saying that the work he's been really happy with up to now is a load of crap and has taken us too long and cost him too much. All payments so far are up to date so I'm not out of pocket, but in his mind I'm being unreasonable, in my mind he's being unreasonable.

I'd rather do without the aggro so have essentially told him to find someone else to second fix the project as I'm no longer interested. Things is, if I bail, he's pretty much buggered as he'll have to find another spark to start in a weeks time which is highly unlikely.

That im not so much bothered with, but it's the bovine excrement he's likely to start spreading about me that I am.

I can go into real detail if anyone wants.

Any thoughts?

Leave him hanging, mate......who's to say he's not going muck spreading even if you do complete.....I think the odds are he might.

I was subbying for a sparks who had problems with a customer, loads of aggro and relations between the customer and the sparks deteriorated completely. Eventually due to payment not being received on time we left the site. The customer tried to get another sparks to finish the job but obviously found it difficult to say the least.

So a project manager was called in. He liased with the customer in regard to every question and relayed that to us, the sparks and the customer would not even talk relations were that bad. The project manager was also impartial and if the customer was wrong, he would tell them so. An agreement was put into place that we would spend 3 days a week on site with payment before we came back. The project manager had the final say on the amount billed for and if it was correct for the work done according to the sparks initial quotation.

The job got completed, everyone got paid and although the customer doesnt know it, the sparks and the project manager were actually doing the customer a favour by trying to get the job completed. This worked out so well that the customer even called the sparks a few months later to do some more jobs! The sparks declined, he didnt burn any bridges as he told them he was busy for at least 3 months.

So maybe you and the customer should get an impartial advocate to liase between yourself with regular payments (maybe even daily) to limit any potential losses- the customer pays the avocate!!!

Regardless of anything else, if he has resorted to insulting your family, I would walk away whilst the going is good.

You could do this politely and offer to spend a day with the new contractor to show them how you've wired the job - payment for your time in advance of course.

I think it's possibly best to finish what you started to just keep your name clean.

Talking of annoying customers, I put a mirror in a bathroom this afternoon, electric illuminated thing.

Anyway, it was 600mm wide and 2mm lower on the right hand side, my god the customer kicked off big time, I explained it was quite tricky due to the plasterboard fixings etc Nd lack of adjustment. I did offer to have another go at fixing it but doubted I could get it any better, it looked absolutely fine, but all he would say is that he has an eye for lines and it's not straight.

I think it's possibly best to finish what you started to just keep your name clean.

Talking of annoying customers, I put a mirror in a bathroom this afternoon, electric illuminated thing.

Anyway, it was 600mm wide and 2mm lower on the right hand side, my god the customer kicked off big time, I explained it was quite tricky due to the plasterboard fixings etc Nd lack of adjustment. I did offer to have another go at fixing it but doubted I could get it any better, it looked absolutely fine, but all he would say is that he has an eye for lines and it's not straight.
couldnt you have used penny washers on the mirror etc?

2mm on the cant??? ............ Dear God man - that's like a country mile!!

Sorry like but I agree with the punter on this one.

Stay back after class and write a 100 lines - "I must try harder to get things square, level and plumb"!

( cant = not level. )

Reply to Leaving jobs before completion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net