Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss LED Lighting - What Class are these? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. LED Lighting

LED Lighting Regular EF Member

Hi Everyone - Im new to this forum so please be nice

I am working with LED Lighting everyday at the moment and something has come up several times in the office between the R&D and Technical Team.

The Situation is:
    LED Tubes
    Aluminium Back
    230v Supply to the power supply inside the tube
    Power Supply is insulated by a non-conductive sleeve which is open at both ends - no other means of insulation
    No Earth Connection

LED Panels
    Aluminium Case
    230v Supply to the power supply inside the unit
    Power Supply is insulated by a non-conductive washers - no other means of insulation
    Earth Connection to the body

B22 and E27 Bulbs
    Aluminium Heat Shrink
    230v Supply to the power supply inside the light
    Power Supply is insulated by a non-conductive sleeve which is open at both ends - no other means of insulation
    No Earth Connection

What class are these? - Class 0, Class 1 or Class 2?
    I have my thoughts but would like to hear everyone else's before I take this to the Designers

2. driverman

driverman DIY

I would of thought all info would be on the fittings/ instructions etc

3. ackbarthestar

ackbarthestar Trusted Advisor

As above, RTFI, and then IMO

1/ Class II
    2/ Class I
    3/ Class II

There are some strange foreign light fittings doing the rounds, so follow manufacturer's advice

4. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Is there a 'double-insulated' mark on them? (square within a square). Daz

5. LED Lighting

LED Lighting Regular EF Member

I know what a Class 1 and Class 2 item is, but there seems to be a problem as these items where made in China and everything is marked as Class 2 when clearly some are not.
    I agree that the LED Panels are Class 1 but Im not sure about the Tubes or the B22 or E27.

My thoughts are that the B22/E27 only have 1 layer of insulation not double insulated!
    Same goes for the tubes - there has already been an issue where the Tube because the single insulation is open of both sides allowing the PCB to move within it and become exposed.

All items now hold the Kite-Mark as Class 2 Items but we are not happy.
    This is why I am asking this question!

6. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Electrician's Arms