Discuss LED Strip & Transformer advice needed in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

nstead

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

First post here - so be kind!

I'm looking for some advice about the best option for a bathroom LED strip installation.

I'm based in Spain, but British. I'm not a qualified electrician, but have done small electrical projects in the past, such as installing lights and sockets in an outbuilding, (which were subsequently tested by a qualified electrician).

We're renovating a bathroom which has no ceiling lights. The only light currently comes from three standard bulbs above the bathroom mirror unit.
My idea is to put an LED strip all the way around the ceiling (approx 8.8m/ 29 ft) in total length), powered from the 240v supply that currently powers the bulbs (running a channel up to the ceiling, which will be tiled over). I'm looking at a couple of options:

1) Using a 24v IP65 LED strip that consumes 11.52w/metre (3.5w/ft) - dual-feeding power to both ends of the strip. My concern with this is that I'll need a 120w transformer, and I have no easy place to hide it, especially since it will need presumably need good air circulation to avoid overheating. The ceiling is a type of terracotta brick that they use here in Spain, and the roof space is not easily accessible, so really that's not a great option. I could potentially house it in, or on top of the large bathroom cabinet that's going to replace the mirror, I guess, but it seems a bit messy, and I'm not sure how much heat is going to be generated.

2) Using a 240v IP67 strip instead (something like this: 8.6€ |Bande lumineuse LED 220V, 120 diodes, 8 W/m, avec prise ue et interrupteur, non éblouissant, Flexible, étanche, utilisation en extérieur | AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000480774538.html - the rectifiers are pretty small and could be housed in a small electrical junction box, so from an installation viewpoint this would be much easier. However, I have concerns about using 240v strips in an environment that's going to be damp at times, even if they are IP67 rated.

Any thoughts?

TL;DR
24v IP65 or 240v IP67 LED strips - Pros & Cons?

Reply to LED Strip & Transformer advice needed in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net