Search the forum,

Discuss Letter intro my company in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spazz

Hi all, I have been on my LA Planing Portal and got a nice list of people just submitted planning applications for new builds, extensions, change of use, etc...

I need a letter to introduce myself and to invite the owner to contact me for a quote for the electrical work - any guidance would be great.

Background:
  • Sole Trader
  • Competitive Service
  • NAPIT Registered
  • 7 years experience (inc some new builds)

I will want to tailor it to the type of work they are doing so it looks like I done my homework.
I have their:
  • Name
  • Address
  • Address of property to be built, etc
  • Type of work
  • Planning Drawings
  • Agent details
  • no phone number or email

Thanks in advance

I have a couple of letters drafted up by my sister who is a English school teacher so they sound quite professional Nic, PM me your email and I will send them to you.

I simply wish them luck with their application.

Include brief details of your experience.

Include that you can sign off to labc satisfaction.

Invite them to consider you when at quotation stage.

No one wants to read a two page touting for business letter - keep it simple.

Not wishing to sound negative but anyone sending such a letter is also going to state the same things!

However stating NAPIT etc could well be double dutch to most home owners, so a few words about Part P may well help you!

Agree with Ian about removing the (inc new builds)

And don't assume you'll get to quote for every letter posted

good luck.

I did this a while ago, and got zero response, but didn't expect any. But then again you have to try lots of different tactics to try and get work sometimes.

Thanks all - just drafted this one up - any thing I need to add?

Dear Mr Smith

Ref: Erection of a Building for Domestic use

It has been brought to my attention that you have a planning application with Pembrokeshire County Council for Erection of a Building for Domestic use.

I am a local electrician and can offer you my services at a competitive cost. I have over seven years of experience in the trade from a varied background, including new builds and extensions, re-wires and shop refits. I am used to working to tight deadlines and alterations being made during a job from my shop fitting experience.

All work fully certificated and compliant with all relevant wiring and building regulations

Should you wish to discuss the work you will need doing I am available on
0**** ******

I wish you every success with your project.

Kind faithfully

Thanks to dillb for the template

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a similar email back in Feb t all letting agents - I had 2 out of 10 come back to me.

Not expecting any this time but would be nice to have 1 or 2 to cover the cost of stamps - lol

I have a list of about 100 applications which has been submitted in last 30 days - none been granted as yet

Don't go too much into the regulations, they may not know what they mean just say something like "all work fully certificated and compliant with all relevant wiring and building regulations"

"Should you wish to discuss the work you will need doing I am available on the following contacts..."

I would a little further back than ones just granted planning permission, as it may just be a enquiry or there will be quite a long period of time before the works even starts.

I also found it useful to put the nature of the works they were having carried out (e.g single storey extension to side of the house) to make it more personal and they could then see it wasn't just a generic letter being sent out.

I think you may have that confused in your mind.

It is a sin to use sincerely for sir.

[h=2]‘Yours faithfully’ or ‘Yours sincerely’ in a business letter?[/h]When the recipient’s name is unknown to you:

• Dear Sir … Yours faithfully
  • Dear Madam … Yours faithfully
  • Dear Sir or Madam … Yours faithfully
When you know the recipient’s name:

• Dear Mr Hanson … Yours sincerely
  • Dear Mrs Hanson … Yours sincerely
  • Dear Miss Hanson … Yours sincerely
  • Dear Ms Hanson … Yours sincerely
When addressing a good friend or colleague:

• Dear Jack … Best wishes/Best regards
Addressing whole departments:

• Dear Sirs … Yours faithfully

the thing that would concern me being the homeowner is that how does he know,yes you can look up the council planning applications but so do others you might look like a stalker when you know what they are doing,far better to call around in person do a bit of door knocking saying your working in the area and ask if they are looking for any work doing,then act surprised when they say they are having an extension built,then you have your foot in the door,letters go in bins or stuffed in drawers,far better face to face,they will even have the plans and you could give a ball park figure over a cup of tea,you then get your price in first.

the thing that would concern me being the homeowner is that how does he know,yes you can look up the council planning applications but so do others you might look like a stalker when you know what they are doing,far better to call around in person do a bit of door knocking saying your working in the area and ask if they are looking for any work doing,then act surprised when they say they are having an extension built,then you have your foot in the door,letters go in bins or stuffed in drawers,far better face to face,they will even have the plans and you could give a ball park figure over a cup of tea,you then get your price in first.

Don't a lot of the travelling community do that though? Which would make the homeowner more suspicious. At least a letter outlays your business and what it can do for them in a non confrontational way. Although most folk will already have people they want to tender for the job anyway.

TBH most of the planning applications are extensions.

Client will approach a builder first and 9 times out of ten he will have his own sparks.

Don't want to discourage you though, I have done the same thing myself.

Don't a lot of the travelling community do that though? Which would make the homeowner more suspicious. At least a letter outlays your business and what it can do for them in a non confrontational way. Although most folk will already have people they want to tender for the job anyway.

maybe,but unless nic drives a white tranny speaks with an irish accent and has spare tarmac in his van i doubt they will think he's a pikey,i dont think most people have an idea who to use personally,its probably the worst part of getting building work done trying to find decent builders etc,i done it a few years ago and i was sick of ringing up for quotes,waiting for them to come,some priced to low some to high some priced themselves out on purpose instead of not quoting at all,stressful times,if a local builder had knocked on the door at the right time i would have at least allowed him to quote and had a chat about the work,in the end i just used a builder who was working on a job i was on,showed him the plans i had,seemed a decent bloke and i had seen his work i was just sick of looking and phoning around..a letter is just the same as looking in the yellow pages

Im pretty sure the 'travelling community' lets call them 'gyppos' for arguments sake, come along, spread a thin layer of tarmac over your drive while you're at work and then come round later saying you owe them 5 grand and they've no qualms about hanging you up from the nearest tree if you'd like to negotiate on the bill.

maybe,but unless nic drives a white tranny speaks with an irish accent and has spare tarmac in his van i doubt they will think he's a pikey,i dont think most people have an idea who to use personally,its probably the worst part of getting building work done trying to find decent builders etc,i done it a few years ago and i was sick of ringing up for quotes,waiting for them to come,some priced to low some to high some priced themselves out on purpose instead of not quoting at all,stressful times,if a local builder had knocked on the door at the right time i would have at least allowed him to quote and had a chat about the work,in the end i just used a builder who was working on a job i was on,showed him the plans i had,seemed a decent bloke and i had seen his work i was just sick of looking and phoning around..a letter is just the same as looking in the yellow pages

Oh I know it is hit and miss and what works for one person might not for the next, it is all about finding what works for you.

Sorry had no internet for last 5-6 days so not had a chance to get on.
Funny enough the day I sent the letters out (only 5 mins after putting them in the post box) I had a call from a builder who won the council contract to install new kitchens in over 500 council houses in the area over the next 3 years.
He gave me the 3 year contract straight away to do all the wiring for these kitchens 4 to be done a week, so Im now looking for a decent apprentice - funny how things work out.
I start next week

So if any of these lot I posted letters to plus the 3 new builds I got in September I am going to have to think hard about it before taking time off these kitchens.

Sorry had no internet for last 5-6 days so not had a chance to get on.
Funny enough the day I sent the letters out (only 5 mins after putting them in the post box) I had a call from a builder who won the council contract to install new kitchens in over 500 council houses in the area over the next 3 years.
He gave me the 3 year contract straight away to do all the wiring for these kitchens 4 to be done a week, so Im now looking for a decent apprentice - funny how things work out.
I start next week

So if any of these lot I posted letters to plus the 3 new builds I got in September I am going to have to think hard about it before taking time off these kitchens.

dont forget to tell the benefits people that your circumstances have changed tho,they might hit you hard if they find out your back on your feet and you didnt inform them

Yeah this is great i just want to say you that you can simply type your letter from the typist or a graphic designer from any printing press because you can found to the graphic designer only on Printing Press unit and they are well trained in typing any thing and make a design and make pretty to this letter or any matter...

neither, Word of Mouth and/or recommendations

If you are good word spreads, (but i must admit i have been around for over 20 years, changed my number 4 times and people still find it :()
I tried adverts in the first years but they dont work but just want your money
If you get a chance with a private school, health authority or council, go in a little cheaper and then build up your price, once in the door you are there

neither, Word of Mouth and/or recommendations

If you are good word spreads, (but i must admit i have been around for over 20 years, changed my number 4 times and people still find it :()
I tried adverts in the first years but they dont work but just want your money
If you get a chance with a private school, health authority or council, go in a little cheaper and then build up your price, once in the door you are there

Not like gold, like platinum that advice.

Reply to Letter intro my company in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net